Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Short walks with a BIG view

Comments

• VisitScotlandEstherVisitScotlandEsther Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited July 2016
    If you're in Argyll, the Castle Dounie circuit is worth a try...

At Crinan you can climb the hill behind the hotel, following a forestry path, to get some amazing views of the Crinan canal, Jura and even Mull.

It's a short (though fairly steep!) climb but the views are fantastic (and there are benches at the top!). Once you're up, you can follow a broad path along the crest of the hills at an easy stroll before scrambling back down for a coffee/pint at Crinan.

More about the Castle Dounie circuit
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree re Dalmeny Estate walk. One of my neighbourhood favourites.  I regularly walk it from Cramond Brig. Hawes Inn is a nice treat for a Sunday roast too before the return leg.  Some lovely deserted beaches which my wee dog loves.  I also love the Hound Point ghost story associated with Barnbougle Castle. @penguin
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭

I walked for about 45 minutes from the Loch Ness Centre and Exhibition in Drumnadrochit and got this amazing view of Drumnadrochit, Lewiston and Loch Ness itself! Luckily there was blue skies and sun but I didn't get to see Nessie this time around!
    That's the same spot that I posted about earlier up in the thread :smiley: It's easily one of my favourite places around the village. It's one of those places where you pause and go, 'wow, I actually live here!'. 
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @ClaireofNatureClan I just copied your comment onto this thread so more people will see it...

"I hiked to the top of Bennachie yesterday and it was a short hike with a great view, wind, and wonders all around, and really nice people hiking in both directions. We stopped and chatted a lot!"

I do agree that Bennachie is a great walk with amazing views!  It's been a while since I've walked to the Mither Tap...I must do it again soon!! 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    My favourite historical site - it has such a magical feeling Apparently back then they were approx a UK size 4 shoe if my wee foot is anything to go by.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• EileanDonanEileanDonan Member ✭✭
    One of the most rewarding and yet straightforward walks has to be the Quiraing on Skye. I've taken Grandparents and grandkids alike. Awesome views, seriously awesome!
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Samantha_Grant @penguin I often go walking at Cramond, but I've never tried the Dalmeny Estate walk - it's going on my list! Thanks for the tip  :)
  • marjideemarjidee Member
    For a really big view, a stroll up Corstorphine Hill in Edinburgh on a summer Sunday, then climb the Tower. On a  clear day, you can see the tip of Ben Lomond, the Trossachs, Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument to the west, the three Forth Bridges, the islands in the Firth, the Fife coast, Edinburgh spread beneath you, and the Bass Rock and the Law to the east. It's truly spectacular and easily accessible by bus.
  • CarolineRCarolineR Member
    A short walk to Bruce's Stone will allow you to have panoramic views over Loch Trool within Galloway Forest Park in Dumfries & Galloway the BBC Countryfile Magazine Destination of the year 2015/16. 
  • hamerrhamerr Member
    The Three Lochs Way is pretty good.
  • Neil1988Neil1988 Member ✭✭
    Birnam in Perthshire is the perfect base for a lot of short walks with fabulous views. I would recommend spending a night in the Birnam Hotel or Jessie Macs Hostel (probably the best hostel in the country!), grabbing some lunch at Birnam Arts, and then exploring the multiple walking routes going in all directions. Birnam is also very close the famous Hermitage, with outstanding scenery!
  • JoolshornetJoolshornet Member ✭✭
    I'd agree on the Blackford Hill view - amazing vista of Edinburgh and surroundings.  We walked up from Blackford Pond - lovely walk and considering I've lived in Edinburgh for years, this was a first!

Another short(ish!) walk is from Boghall Farm to Hillend Ski Centre on the outskirts of Edinburgh - another fabulous view from there, right across to the Firth of Forth and Fife on a clear day.

• VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Some amazing suggestions guys!!! Keep them coming!! :)
  • What about a nice wander from Glenmore upto Ryvoan Bothy, with a wee stop at An Lochan Uaine (Green Lochans) on the way. Great spots for bird watching in the pine trees, before open moorland!
  • GillyGilly Member ✭✭
    We went to Moffatt in May, I had badly sprained my ankle and ended up on crutches the month before so we couldn't do as much walking as we had originally planned. We went to Devils Beef Tub and I thought the views were outstanding.

On the Isle of Skye last year, we visited the coral beaches and absolutely loved it, the colour of the sand, the colour of the sea, just gorgeous.
  • LaineyfaefifeLaineyfaefife Member ✭✭
    Stonehaven to Dunnottar Castle and back is a braw walk, from the caravan site, past the Harbour, up to the War Memorial, then along the coastal path to the amazing Castle.  We walked back along the road from the castle car park to return to the town, but it would have been nicer to retrace our steps back along the coastal path.
  • sinead_flemingsinead_fleming Member ✭✭
    Blackford Hills in Edinburgh up to the observatory is one of my favourite walks, only 30 mins or so to be rewarded with stunning views of Edinburgh city.
  • SuzieDSuzieD Member ✭✭
    You don't have to go far outside Edinburgh to enjoy the huge views you can get from the Pentland Hills.  Lots of trails and ways to access them.  Check the pentlandhills.org website for information on the regional park or the TweedTrails website for walkers and horse-riding tips. 
  • VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    What about a nice wander from Glenmore upto Ryvoan Bothy, with a wee stop at An Lochan Uaine (Green Lochans) on the way. Great spots for bird watching in the pine trees, before open moorland!
    Great place to spot adders too! Saw one last year sunning itself on the path up to the Green Lochan before it slithered off, amazing! I agree, a beautiful walk!   :)
  • The Fife Coastal Path is a wonderful walk with many stunning views. While it's a lob distance walk it can be broken up into sections, going from one coastal village the next. The views are amazing and there are plenty of opportunities for refreshment along the way, including lobster shacks, chocolate cafes, fish & chips and much, much more. We walked from Crail to St Monans, which is 12 km and rewarded ourselves with lunch at the East Pier Smoke House
  • And here are some pictures from our walk along the Fife Coastal Path 
  • NewLanarkNewLanark Member ✭✭
    At New Lanark you can view two of three waterfalls as part of the Falls of Clyde within around a 25 minute walk. The first is Dundaff Linn which is visible from the village of New Lanark, and then you get to Corra Linn after a beautiful riverside walk through our surrounding woodland wildlife reserve! Photos by jennyserendipity and scottw1886 on Instagram :) 
  • Can't beat a walk up Ben A'an in the Trossachs, it takes around an hour to the top (454m high) its rocky summit offer amazing views towards the mountain of Ben More & Stobinnian, the peaks of the trossachs and along Loch katrine. In fact the views are better than many hills 3 times the height!
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @Gilly @SuzieD @VisitScotlandSarahW the Eildon Hills walk in the Scottish Borders is a real stunner especially at this time of year when the heather is in bloom. There are three peaks but there's really no need to climb the Mid Hill and West Hill peaks unless you really feel the need to. I suggest climbing just the North Hill peak which is relatively easy to do and you are rewarded with fantastic views in all directions. These photo were taken from North Hill peak yesterday.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/borders/eildon-hills.shtml

• LaineyfaefifeLaineyfaefife Member ✭✭
    Looks braw!  I was watching Cameron McNeish's End to End the other night, and just been looking at the accompanying book.  The Eildon Hills feature in both and I was just thinking I would check out the Walk Highlands route and start planning a wee day trip