Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Short walks with a BIG view

VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited October 2016 in Scotland's countryside
Wherever you go in Scotland you will undoubtedly find that perfect spot to enjoy some of the amazing scenery that Scotland is famous for.

Here by the banks of Loch Lomond there is a small hill known locally as 'The Dumpling' (because of its pudding-like shape), and has one of the most amazing views that Loch Lomond has to offer. Standing at 465 ft (142 m) above sea level it only takes around 25 minutes to reach the top of the Duncryne Hill, although it is quite a steep path.

I took these pictures yesterday evening and the view from the top was stunning! :smile:

What are your favorite short walks with a BIG view?

Comments

• VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Totally agree with @VisitScotlandAngela. The view from the top of this small hill is amazing, in fact I just had to share my very own photograph of when I climbed to the top, but on a sunnier day... :D
  • VisitScotlandAliVisitScotlandAli Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Great pictures @VisitScotlandAngela
  • VisitScotlandAmyVisitScotlandAmy Administrator
    Amazing views @VisitScotlandNikki - love the dogs that made it up too, good for them!!
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Great picture @VisitScotlandSheena ; :)
  • Rachel26Rachel26 Member ✭✭
    Beautiful :)
  • Robin_Fae_UnstRobin_Fae_Unst Member ✭✭
    @Fofoma a short walk is relative to each person I guess, if it is 4 miles or under I tend to think of that as a short walk. Looks gorgeous up Dumyat hill though and what an amazing view of the Wallace Monument! 
    From the island above all others, Unst is Britain's northern most island.
    Shetland is an amazing and unique location to visit and all of us Shetlanders are eager to share our wonderful little part of the world with everyone, so come along & visit us. 
    Join me on my underwater explorations of Shetland at my instagram @rdmouatt ;
    A Beautiful view indeed of Lerwick, @Robin_Fae_Unst, glorious weather too! 
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I've not long moved to the area but the wee walk above the village up to the crag is fast becoming one of my favourites. Drum can get pretty hectic with tourists but this one seems to one mostly used by locals and is an oasis of calm. The view over towards Loch Ness is hard to beat! It's a short diversion off the Affric-Kintail Way

For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • bcedinburghbcedinburgh Member ✭✭
    A wee favourite of mine is Corstorphine Hill in Edinburgh.   Beautiful views across Edinburgh - particularity to Leith and because it backs onto the zoo, there's often a zebra or another exotic animal to see as well!
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Walk up through the woodland section of Arduaine Gardens (NTS) south of Oban till you reach the viewpoint.  It's not a long or difficult walk, a few minutes of gently sloping woodland path (wait for a sunny day).  I am not posting a photo as that will spoil the surprise!
  • cdrackcdrack Member ✭✭
    Love the views from Dumbarton Castle @ScotlandAdventures !  
  • kirstyaturnerkirstyaturner VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Conic Hill, near Balmaha, is another short walk with a big view.  Situated on the Highland Boundary Fault, it offers great views of Loch Lomond:

Kirsty Instagram | Ask me about all things Scotland, from hillwalking to highland dancing...
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    The coast walk from the Port of Ness taking in the lighthouse at the the northern tip of the Isle of Lewis is great. It is only 4 miles - and although it is claimed to be the windiest spot in the UK it was fantastic weather when we were there! Read more about it on the link above.

That's made me homesick! I grew up a few miles from there. They've linked up another walk now where you walk all the way along the coast from Ness to Tolsta.  Worth doing if you're ever over again. 
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • FionaMatFionaMat Member
    My favourite short walk with a BIG view... Edinburgh's skyline from the top of Blackford Hill! Amazing views of Edinburgh, with the Firth of Forth, Fife, and the coastline down to North Berwick in the distance.