Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

When to visit

Hello!

I’m looking to plan a trip to Scotland with my family but am trying to decide when. I have to plan around my daughters school vacations so my options are December (around Christmas time), February, and mid April. I’m leaning towards April but would love to get some input from more knowledgeable individuals. Thank you!

Best,
Katherine

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Kmccrillis - welcome to the forum!

What time to come will really depend on what you'd like to see and do here. In December we have lots of great Christmas markets, Hogmanay celebrations and festivities you might enjoy being a part of.  February will still be winter but the days will be slightly longer, and in April it will be spring time.

What did you have in mind for your trip? If you let us know what you're hoping to see and do then we can further assist with tips!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • ellisoconnorellisoconnor VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Hello! I think mid april is the best time in Scotland, we are finally coming out of the long (but lovely) winter and everything is coming back to life! It is also normally quite mild and the nights are getting longer too then before the summer! Have a great time :) 

Ellis 
  • ruthieruthie Member
    Hi there, we were looking to go skiing with our 3 kids in Feb, is skiing in Scotland good for kids? where should we stay and if we fly to Edinburgh what would be the best place to go to? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to organise a good holiday. Thanks
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @ruthie, I know from experience that Aviemore in the Highlands and Hillend in Edinburgh are both great places to go skiing and snowboarding!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.