Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scotland In December

Hello,
My friends and I are traveling to Scotland this December. We will be spending 3-4 nights in Edinburgh, and the rest we'll be spending walking & hiking. We are no mountaineers but we just finished our military service so we're in good shape and OK with bad weather. I'd like to know what's you're recommendations about the hikes, since we cannot find any definite suggestions online. Thanks for your time and help !

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @roey_lange! I've just asked my pal who is an eager walker, and he tells me Loch Ard in the Trossachs is amazing in the winter months - very peaceful and beautiful when it's misty and cold. Hope this helps! 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • I guess it depends entirely on your own level of fitness and winter walking experience. Based on what you've said I'd be inclined to recommend lower level walks. Where will you be staying when you're not in Edinburgh? There's a wealth of options but if we knew where you were based it would make it easier to give you some ideas. 

Lochan Uaine in the Cairngorms is a cracking little walk in winter (especially if we've had a bit of snow) and you can continue on to Ryvoan Bothy to get a brew going if it's cold.... and it'll be cold  :)

There's great options around Loch Ness and in Drumnadrochit you can link up a walk around the Urquhart Bay woods and on up to Craigmonie Viewpoint. If I'm allowed to do some shameless plugging I run a woodland walk AirBnB Experience from Drumnadrochit which gives you a nice flavour of the area. 

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited September 1
    Hi @roey_lange

Have you checked out the Walk Highlands website? Everything you need to know for all levels of mountains and walks in Scotland, with walk reports too  :)

I recently hiked in the Arrochar Alps near Loch Lomond and loved hiking Ben Arthur (The Cobbler). You also have a choice of other great mountains in this area. This is my blog post about the hike: https://loveexploringscotland.com/2018/07/26/hiking-ben-arthur-the-cobbler/

Also a wee video: 

I'm not sure what it would be like in the winter but it's a good path all the way up.

Dawn-Marie x
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • Thank you very much for your help. I am not much of a mountain hiker, so I will avoid hiking the highland at this time of the year (seems a bit too much to start with).
    I will consider staying at perth, or maybe go to the west coast.
    Thank you very much again!
    Roey
  • VisitScotlandCarolVisitScotlandCarol Member, Moderator
    Hi @roey_lange

Given what you have said I agree that Perth, or indeed anywhere in Perthshire,  would be an excellent base for you to enjoy a few days' walking in December.

In addition to the walks available on the excellent  Walk Highlands website (I personally use this as my start point whenever I go walking, especially in a new area)  mentioned by @DMWScotlandPerth & Kinross Countryside Trust produces a range of leaflets detailing some great  waymarked and signposted walks in the region. Most of the publications can be downloaded from this website and several of them will be available either free of charge or for a modest fee from our VisitScotland iCentres in either Perth or Pitlochry, both of which are open all year round.

I hope this helps and that you have a great trip; a few days in Edinburgh and a few days in Perthshire should hopefully provide the perfect mix of city and countryside!