Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Smugglers' Trail from Troon to Dundonald Castle, Ayrshire, Scotland

DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
Hello :)

Being based in Ayrshire, South West Scotland, I like to explore what's on my doorstep when I can and share my adventures. A few years ago I wrote a blog post about the Smugglers' Trail in South Ayrshire and now I've created a video of the trail showing all the points of interest along the way.

A long time ago in a shire far away ... the 18th century Loans Smuggling Company was the most successful in Scotland. Goods like tea, brandy, wine, rum and tobacco were bought tax free from the Isle of Man and shipped to Troon. Local men with their horses would gather on the beach to quickly carry these inland. One route was through Dundonald Glen.

Let me take you on this journey in just over four minutes. Follow the footsteps and hooves of the past. Points of interest include:

1. Royal Troon Golf Course
2. Wrack Road
3. Crosbie Kirk
4. Crosbie Castle
5. Fullarton House
6. Collennan Reservoir
7. Merkland Loch
8. Dundonald Woods
9. Dundonald Castle

You can walk the trail either from Troon to Dundonald or vice versa. For my video I preferred to walk it the way the smugglers would carry their goods inland. 

Start: South Beach Car Park, Troon
Distance one way: around 12km (7 miles)
Toilets: Fullarton woods public toilets, Old Loans Inn, Dundonald Castle
Food and drink stops: Loans, Old Loans Inn or Dundonald Castle
Return journey: walk back, have a car at the other end or catch the bus from Dundonald to Troon. Search for number 10 Troon bus on the Stagecoach website

Video clips have been recorded on different days and seasons, so expect a change of weather ... Scotland at its best 

I hope you enjoy this historical Ayrshire trail as much as I did.

Walk report and map

You can also read another full walk report including a map on Gillian's Walks website. This is a brilliant blog with walks all over Scotland including buggy friendly, dog friendly and walks the kids will enjoy.

Video of the Smugglers' Trail - Troon to Dundonald, Ayrshire

I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)

Comments

• ArtravelistArtravelist Member ✭✭
    I love your video and the storytelling along the way! It makes me feel like I did the trail with you. Thank you!
    be an artravelist with me at artravelist.com
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much @Artravelist. It was a different type of video for me and I wasn't sure how it would go. Surprisingly lots of people on my Facebook page enjoyed it too and now also wanting to walk the trail. That's what makes me happy, if it inspires others. Also the people that might not be able to walk the trail can walk it virtually :) 
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)