Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

COSAGACH and WHISKEY: an itinerary

Hello,
I am an italian journalist writing an article for a magazine about COSAGACH and a tour in Scotland about Cosagach and Whisky.
Do you have any suggestion, places and hotel which are a must see, best whiskies in Scotland for 2018 and a good itinerary to suggest for autumn?

thank you so much

have a nice day!

Gloria Ghiara
Gioia! and Esquire Italy
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @GloriaGhi_67
    Please have a look at the results of a cosagach experience on VisitScotland website. You will find plenty of options which can give you inspiration for your article.
    As for whisky, there's the Malt Whisky Trail and the different Whisky Producing Regions of Scotland which might be of some help to you. Speyside (Malt Whisky Trail) is the region with the highest concentration of distilleries. Aside of Malt Whisky you have very well respected blends such as Johnnie Walker different labels and the Famous Grouse for example.
    I hope this helps and good luck for your article!!  :D 
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @GloriaGhi_67 - you should take a look at this video that was filmed in Scotland last winter, it's full of great cosagach content!

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @GloriaGhi_67, Apologies for the late response, I had to look up what Cosagach means and quite fairly, it does mean what I feel when I have a Glencairn in hand, sitting in a distillery running for over a century with a fire burning and a distillery worker regaling a group with the history of their distillery and whisky. The art, science and industry of whisky is very much woven into Scotland's local culture.

A really good basis for the article would be highlighting how remote and, in some respect, raw the major whisky producing regions are (including how the fear of taxes / exciseman forced earlier distiller operations to be so covert and for the drink to be warming for the locals). The Glenlivet distillery in Speyside is one such location and there are a number of fantastic historical images on site. And it is a great start to your itinerary as Speyside is home to half of Scotland's active distilleries.

From here you can drive up north, far North to Orkney - home to Scapa and Highland Park. A few famous distilleries are on the way (Dalmore, Glenmorangie, etc). Soak in the nearby Neolithic sites and tie it back with the feeling of Cosagach amidst the distance from the mainland.

Lastly, fly to Islay via Glasgow to round off the trip. Visit the 3 distilleries connected by a coastal path (Ardbeg - Lagavulin - Laphroaig), smell the salt in the air, the peak fires and the comfort of a good Islay. And then drive up to Briuchladdich to highlight a distillery which disrupts the tropes but makes some incredible whisky and gin.

I have been to all the areas described above but in a more spread out itinerary. I am more than happy to provide more recommendations and / or consult on whisky distillery itineraries across Scotland. I have summarized some of my whisky region experiences with photos in the links below. Hope you have a wonderful time in Scotland.

https://beyondourhorizons.com/2017/04/03/a-guide-to-islay-scotland-a-whisky-lovers-dream-destination/ (Islay)

https://beyondourhorizons.com/2018/08/28/speyside-whisky-festival-by-public-transport/ (Spirit of Speyside festival 2018)

https://beyondourhorizons.com/2017/03/18/top-5-whisky-related-experiences-in-scotland/ (a summary of my favourite experiences correct as of early 2017)
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)