Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Conundrum. 😫

I know I am asking for personal opinions,  but that is exactly what I’m looking for right now. I’ve done plenty of research. So.... after leaving Isle of Skye, I had planned on driving up to Ullapool for the night... Now, I’m doubting myself and wondering if, instead, we should drive through Plockton, Shieldaig, and Torridon to Inverness and then use that extra time to drive the Highland tourist route, Moray Firth route or the Deeside route instead? We will be driving from Glasgow up to Isle of Skye, spending three nights there. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions! Thank you! 

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Two questions to help solve your puzzle

1. What is the time of year you'll be doing this drive?
    2. What your plan past Ullapool would have been (I am guessing NC 500). How many days of travel would you have after Skye and what are your group's interests?

My logic would be that if it is a quieter time of year, I'd keep both options open till my last night of stay in Skye. Pick the option with the better weather and just book something for the next 2 night based on the chosen selection

If the group is driving to see stunning and rugged landscapes, remote beaches or wants to do some dramatic hikes, stay on the NC500.

But if the group is more into exploring Scotland's castles and famous distilleries along with some dolphin spotting, I'll pick the Torridon - Inverness - Moray Firth - Deeside route.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• KciohKcioh Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much, Horizons! We'll be traveling in mid-late September (soon!). Taking the train from London to Glasgow (not much into cities, but thought we would give it an afternoon). Driving the next morning to Skye (taking our time to see as much as we can). We will spend 3 nights on Skye. The morning we leave, I HAD planned on Plockton then up to Ullapool, taking the coastal road. One night in Ullapool and then down to Inverness. We don't have time to do the 500 route. We will then travel from Inverness through Pitlochry, Dunkeld, etc... to Edinburgh for 3 nights. We love the beauty of the outdoors, although my husband and I love Scotch! But, we will see enough castles on our trip as it is planned. I just wasn't sure if there may be some beautiful sites which we could also see if we don't go all the way to Ullapool - just drive through Torridon - and maybe visit around Moray Firth or some of the coastal areas on the east coast. It will just be for a day drive and one night. There is just TOO much to see, and I have a hard time cutting places! LOL!