Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Going on a digital detox in Scotland

VisitScotAnnieroseVisitScotAnnierose Member, Administrator, Moderator
Hey guys! 

I've recently written a blog about taking a digital detox in Scotland. 

Whether you feel like taking a leisurely hike up a mountain, hiding out in a cabin or lodge, or even going on a secluded loch-side yoga retreat, there are many invigorating ways to switch off from it all in Scotland. 

Has anyone ever tried a holiday like this? Do you find it liberating to leave your devices at home, or would you prefer to be able to capture and share every moment with your loyal followers?

Loch Katrine from the summit of Ben A'an. Image: Kenny Lam/VisitScotland.

Comments

• ananyahananyah Member ✭✭
    A few years ago I went on a road trip of the highlands with my parents and stayed in a lodge. No wifi. Barely any 3G. I was disconnected from the outside world. At first I was having withdrawals, clutching my phone and trying to find the best place for just one bar! After a couple of days though, I liked the fact that I wasn't checking my phone every 5/10 minutes without fail and got to relax, explore and take photographs of my surroundings. 

I need another digital detox soon. Not sure I could fully leave any behind. I'd still want to photograph the occasion :)
    Visit Scotland Community Ambassador
    Glasgow Based Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blogger
    Blog | Twitter | Instagram
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    [Deleted Content]
  • VisitScotlandIntroVisitScotlandIntro Administrator
    The Moor of Rannoch Hotel by Rannoch Station is an excellent digital detox.  No WIFI, phone signal or TVs.  My hubby wasn't convinced at first but we both loved it when we went for our wedding anniversary a couple of years ago. The food was great, the tranquility perfect and eating dinner at night as wild deer crept up to the convervatory window was memorable.  It was nice to enjoy good conversation, great food and wine. 

And if you go one stop along the line to Corrour, there's both the Corrour Bunkhouse and, about a mile away, the spectacular Loch Ossian youth hostel. Both are worth a visit and make excellent bases for exploring the surrounding hills. No trace of a phone signal in most of the area too.
  • The Moor of Rannoch Hotel by Rannoch Station is an excellent digital detox.  No WIFI, phone signal or TVs.  My hubby wasn't convinced at first but we both loved it when we went for our wedding anniversary a couple of years ago. The food was great, the tranquility perfect and eating dinner at night as wild deer crept up to the convervatory window was memorable.  It was nice to enjoy good conversation, great food and wine. 

This sounds amazing! It's definitely been added to my list, and a bonus that you can get there by train. 

I visited Gairloch a couple of years ago, where there was very minimal phone service and no 3G. It made the trip even better and it really is amazing to get away from it all when we're so used to (probably unnecessarily) checking our phones every 5 minutes! 

On a holiday in 2014, I went 14 days with no access to my phone or the internet and it was bliss! 
  • I think I adapt quite well to circumstances. If there's no phone signal then oh well. I love sharing my photos and updates but sometimes its nice to just disappear 'off grid'. Usually quite difficult to do it so much now. Even the islands have superfast broadband!

Check out the tinberry travels - sharing stories, adventures and travel related nonsense as I explore the world bit by bit

Find me on twitter & instagram

• ArgyllCoffeeGodArgyllCoffeeGod Member ✭✭
    Come over to Argyll if you want a digital detox, a few short strides away from the shore and most of the current service providers' signals vanish into the ether!  
    Befuddled, bemused & occasionally talking sense.
    [Deleted Content]
    [Deleted Content]
  • VisitScotAnnieroseVisitScotAnnierose Member, Administrator, Moderator
    ananyah said:
    I need another digital detox soon. Not sure I could fully leave any behind. I'd still want to photograph the occasion :) 
    I totally agree! I always like to switch of my data and take lots of photos, then post a select few when I get back :) I'm hoping my next one will be glamping on Skye :) 
  • NewLanarkNewLanark Member ✭✭
    We have fairly limited mobile phone signal at New Lanark as we're located in a river valley and surrounded by 200+ year old stone buildings! Many visitors comment on how peaceful and relaxing they think the village is, and how it seems as if they are a million miles away from home - even though the town of Lanark is just 5 minutes up the hill! We do have wifi in a few select buildings within the visitor centre, to allow visitors to upload all of their beautiful photos!