Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Early April toddler friendly trip - Budget?

hello! I’m planning a trip to Scotland with 2 young kids - turning 2 and 4. Scotland is a beautiful country and we are thinking of traveling from Asia up to Scotland before my little one turns 2. I am having trouble estimating the Budget and trying to see if the trip is feasible. I need help.

Suppose i have 14 days including flying in and out, and my trip objectives are:
1) live in a cabin/caravan/treehouse/cottage 
2) get close to wildlife - walk, observe, take photos, picnic and be happy
3) rolling hills with a cottage house ... just like those storybook i read when i was young
4) some train rides and some driving (Husband can drive - but limit to not more than 2 hours?)
5) visit interesting museum as an educational trip 
6) Sunday or Farmers market and villages with friendly people
7) playgrounds 
8) farms and get acquainted with the Farmers and animals 

i have trouble zooming down where to go and also not sure how much do i need to Budget minimally. Can i seek you advice on:
1) Which part of Scotland is suitable for us to explore, based on above objectives
2) how much should we min Budget a day? 
3) i read Scotland weather is unpredictable, hmmm so is early April will it be snowing or rainy?

Thank u!
ynn

Answers

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Ynn, seems like a brilliant trip you have planned, we're looking forward to welcoming you!

For cabins, lodges etc, have a look here to see what we have available on our website.  Also, here is links to train and driving information on our website.

For the rest, we'd need to have a vague idea at where you are looking to visit within Scotland to be able to give you the best advice.

Hope this helps!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • YnnYnn Member
    Would it be crazy idea if it’s our first time doing caravans or mobile home in early April with 2 young kids? 

I’m exploring:
    Edinburgh + Glasgow - 5 days
    Galloway forest park for starry night and aurora - 1 day on camper van?
    Drive to Skye - 4 days (will do stopovers)

where can i do grass sledging or zip line along the drive to Skye?
    may i know the typical prices for a cup of coffee and plate of pasta?

• YnnYnn Member
    @VisitScotlandLiam, i’ve edited my plan. Need your advice on the following 

Day 1 - long haul flight arrive at London 
    Day 2 - London to Edinburgh 
    Day 3 - Edinburgh 
    Day 4 - Edinburgh
    Day 5 - Edinburgh to Galloway/Dumfries
    Day 6 - Galloway/Dumfries
    Day 7 - Galloway/Dumfries
    Day 8 - Galloway/Dumfries
    Day 9 - Galloway to Stirling
    Day 10 - Stirling/Glasgow 
    Day 11. Stirling/Glasgow
    Day 12 - Glasgow to london
    Day 13 - Llondon
    Day 14 - London back to SIN

@ Galloway/Dumfries, we try to achieve:
    - Milky Way, animal spotting (red-nose squirrels, deers, puffins), stay in cabin/treehouse/farm, grass sledging and zipline, villages and markets

@Edinburgh, we try to achieve:
    - playgrounds, Parks, museums, toys, markets, campervan??

@Stirling/Glasgow
    - arts, ... 

• icecrystalicecrystal Member
    Wow, what a great plan!  Okay, an idea for the Glasgow part of your trip.  Kelvin Grove Art Gallery & Museum is free and HUGE!  But of particular interest here may be the Mini Museum on the ground floor.  Completely kid friendly...lots for them to look at and touching exhibits is welcomed!  Adjoining are the African animals, which they might also like. You can picnic outside and there's a lovely park with play areas and fountains surrounding the building.  If it rains, you won't pass Kelvin Grove for entertaining the little ones AND the grown ups! 
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Ynn said:

@ Galloway/Dumfries, we try to achieve:
    - Milky Way, animal spotting (red-nose squirrels, deers, puffins), stay in cabin/treehouse/farm, grass sledging and zipline, villages and markets

Have a look at Laggan Outdoor Centre although there might be age restrictions on some activities.