Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Planning for May 2019

My husband and I plan to explore parts of Scotland in May 2019.  Our goal is to use public transport the majority of the time. A broad outline of our travel (subject to change) is one week in the Inner Hebrides, a second week between Fort William and Inverness, and the third week in the north near John O'Groats and Orkney.  My initial questions then are about transportation and accommodation. 

1. Is it reasonable that we can travel this route with public transportation, allowing for a car rental on Orkney? 
2. Flexibility of accommodation. We are NOT planning on visiting Skye or walking any of the national trails, e.g. The West Highland Way. But we are planning on walking 6-10 km frequently depending upon our location. Do we need to book accommodation months in advance or can we wing it with 2-3 days in advance?  Our accommodation preference is family owned guest houses, b&b's and/or hostels. 

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas regarding transportation and accommodation. I know I'll be back with other more specific questions. 

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    hey @JulieH49, I would always recommend booking well in advance, especially for May as it usually gets quite warm then.

@horizons will be able to let you know what is and isn't possible public transport-wise!

Hope this helps  :)
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • JulieH49JulieH49 Member
    Thanks Liam, You confirmed my impression about accommodations. It appears we will need reduce our desire for flexibility to find housing while we traipse about. With that said I'll wait before asking more questions about transport. My thanks again for your response. 

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hey @JulieH49, I have a lot of info to give but am currently short on time. The answer is broadly a yes to both questions. I recommend reading the summary of my week-long and month-long public transport trips across Scotland by public transport to access some links and inspiration in the short term. I'll get back with a detailed response when I can in the next week.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)