Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

NORTH COAST 500!

ellisoconnorellisoconnor VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
edited October 2016 in Planning and Practicalities
Hello all!

Me and my friend are embarking on the epic north coast 500 route from tomorrow for 10 days.

We will be living in a motorhome and so I'm wondering if any of you lovely lot have any tips/ recommendations on things to see and do along the route?

We will be leaving from Inverness and heading up the East Coast first towards John O Groats then along the North and back down the West. 

Any tips at all I would really appreciate it!

I don't want to miss anything!

Looking forward to sharing lots of my images and blog posts from my trip when I'm back. Let's hope this fabulous Scottish Weather stays like this for me...

Thanks in advance!

Ellis

Comments

• VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
    @ellisoconnor If you're starting from scratch with your trip planning, check out our North Coast 500 blog for a few starter suggestions. We also got a lot of comments from people who had done the route, so there might be a few gems in there too!
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited May 2016
    I whizzed round this route in one day in the car a few years ago before it was called NC500!  I would love to take my time and visit places along the way like Dunrobin Castle, Smoo Cave and Cape Wrath.  However, the day was gorgeous and the views were out of this world.  I look forward to hearing about your trip.
  • GizasmumGizasmum Member
    I did this route a few years ago and it takes a lot longer than one day. A lot of it's on single track windy twisty roads, which I'm very used to driving on, it's not a race track. Travelling from Glasgow, we stayed over in Tain, Thurso, Kinlochbervie and Ullapool before heading home.
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Jealous!!

Off the top of my head:

Durness: Balnakeil Beach and the Puffins. (The guys in the VIC should be able to give you pointers where to see them. Cocoa Mountain for your chocolate fix. If you could bring me back some of their chocolate buttons I'd be most grateful :smiley:  Smoo Cave is a good shout too. 

Take your time on the road down from Durness, the views just keep coming! Stop, take photos, savour it!  If you have time the route around Stac Pollaidh isn't too challenging and the views.... wow. Lochinver and the near legendary pie shop is a great place to stop for lunch too. 

Applecross and the Bealach na Ba is a road you won't forget in a hurry, I've seen Sea Eagles heading over the pass so ask your passengers to keep their eyes peeled. 

For an overload of chintz then stop off at La Mirage in Helmsdale, I confess I haven't been but I've heard good/interesting/odd stories about the place. Apparently it's very quirky. But that's East Coasters for you, they're an odd bunch!  :p

For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • Storey49Storey49 Member
    My husband and I have decided to have a holiday in September and visit as much as we can around the North Coast 500. It is really good to go through the posts for hints and ideas. Thank you everyone