Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Hidden Gems of Scotland

What’s really great about Scotland is that the good stuff isn’t just in the cities.

Like in Orkney where there’s an amazing stone circle to rival Stonehenge. And you can see the magnificent Aurora Borealis – the Northern lights –  come out to play.

There are dolphins that play at the entrance to Aberdeen Harbour, best viewed from the Tory Battery. 

And there are even Fairy Pools. (Pretty little waterfalls and colourful rock pools you’ll find in Skye which may or may not have fairies...)

Where’s your hidden gem? 

Comments

• TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I really love the forest walk at Invermoriston, where you can sit inside the wee folly and watching the river gush over the huge flat rocks and down towards Loch Ness. 

Rumour has it J.M. Barrie holidayed here as a boy, and that the scenery there inspired Neverland.  ;)

This photo was taken years ago in the days before smartphones! I need to go back for a visit... 

Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
  • VisitScotlandSheenaVisitScotlandSheena Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I often take a wee stroll along the Union Canal between Broxburn and Ratho which includes a path along the aquaduct which crosses the River Almond. It has cracking views over the river and beyond to Fife.

But it wasn't until two weeks ago that despite being pretty much on my doorstep, I discovered the riverside walk through Almondell & Calderwood Country Park. Lovely walk through woodland along to the Lins Mill Aquaduct. I liked the ornate wooden structure that ran alongside the water. 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Wanlockhead which sits hidden in the Lowther Hills in Dumfries & Galloway is a bit of a hidden gem.  You rarely hear about it yet it's Scotland's highest village.  It's such a pretty unspoiled place.  It has a real island feel to it too with sheep roaming freely around the village.  It's a really interesting historial town with the old lead mine and museum. Well worth a visit.

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• FionaHFionaH Member
    edited July 2016
    Two of my very favourite places are Ullapool and Aberfeldy. They capture the broad beauty of Scotland and these pictures show just how beautiful they can be. I know that I’ll always get a warm welcome when I visit – like everywhere else in Scotland. 
  • BenitoBenito Member
    Glorious evening here at Mabie Forest in the heart of Dumfries and Galloway.  Pity I have not pic to share.  

If you are keen on sports, Mabie forest offers some of the world's best mountain biking stretching from the heart of Dumfries and Galloway to the Scottish Borders. 
  • themerrydancerthemerrydancer Member ✭✭
    Wanlockhead which sits hidden in the Lowther Hills in Dumfries & Galloway is a bit of a hidden gem.  You rarely hear about it yet it's Scotland's highest village. 
    I love Wanlockhead. Passed through on the Southern Upland Way - the sheep we encountered were very curious! Toughest day of hillwalking I'd encountered for a while (wanlockhead to moffat!)
  •  

Castle Tioram is a 13th Century ruined castle, former stronghold of the Clanranalds and a great place to visit to immerse yourself in the history of The West Highlands.  Situated in Moidart, slightly off the main tourist route, some 40 miles west of Fort William.  Well worth a visit if you are in the area.  Google for 'Castle Tioram'

• IknowluxuryIknowluxury Member ✭✭
    My favourite is Mount Stuart on Isle of Bute-  a feat of Victorian engineering, this neo-gothic mansion was one of the most technologically advanced houses of its age. Mount Stuart was the first home in the world to have a heated indoor swimming pool, and the first in Scotland to be purpose built with electric light, central heating, a telephone system and a Victorian passenger lift. Most of which are, quite remarkably, still in use today.

Love Castle Tioram - a beautiful spot and a slightly foreboding ruin. Such a stunning area. @WildAboutLochaber

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

I loved seeing the sheep wander around the village.  Not done the Southern Uplands Way but would like to. I can imagine that section would be tough. It's a really rugged area. Well done you. @themerrydancer

• Tod Head Lighthouse and the cliffs behind it is amazing for views! Also, driving down to the lighthouse when you see it with the sea in the background is amazing. A few more photos of it on www.scottishmoments.com

• ZarabelleZarabelle Member ✭✭
    My favourite is Mount Stuart on Isle of Bute-  a feat of Victorian engineering, this neo-gothic mansion was one of the most technologically advanced houses of its age. Mount Stuart was the first home in the world to have a heated indoor swimming pool, and the first in Scotland to be purpose built with electric light, central heating, a telephone system and a Victorian passenger lift. Most of which are, quite remarkably, still in use today.

I was there last Tuesday actually and it was beautiful! The house has the most stunning marble hall and the grounds have some lovely walks as well.

• DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Beautiful photos @willmackenzie! I also visited Finnich Glen this year, it was so amazing! I need to go back and get to the actual pulpit though (safely). I need some waders lol.

Oldshoremore looks so beautiful! I've heard a few people talking about this place now. Looks like I'll need get there one day with my tent! :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Really stunning photos @willmackenzie! It looks like a standing stone castle. Beautiful
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    @willmackenzie @Samantha_Grant -  love your photos. Here's another fantasy castle-style folly which certainly makes a statement - Hume Castle in the Scottish Borders. It's reminiscent of some sort of French foreign legion desert outpost rather than a Scottish Castle. The 18th century folly is built around the few remaining sections of the original medieval Hume Castle which was destroyed in the 17th century by Oliver Cromwell's army. The folly's  lookout tower is a fabulous vantage point from where there are almost 360 degree views.

It does look like a Foreign Legion fort. Just needs some sand and camels and no one would know.

• seawildearthseawildearth Member ✭✭
    Some really inspiring imagery posted here. Thanks for sharing.
    "A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
  • Really stunning photos 
    We provide best dissertation help in uk.

• seafari1seafari1 Member ✭✭
    Easdale Island is a real hidden gem - featured on Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages on Channel 4 and also Florence and the Machine's video of Queen of peace.