Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

V&A Dundee - Scotland's first design museum + more to see and do in Tay Country

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited June 29 in Arts and Culture

In a few months on September 15 2018, the V&A Dundee will open its doors as the only V&A museum in the world outside London and the home for Scotland's design heritage.

If you're planning to visit this historic museum (I know I am!) then you might want to turn your trip into an opportunity to see more of Scotland's Tay Country as well. To help you get started with your itinerary planning, take a look at the top 21 things to see and do in the area here. From golf courses to stunning coastlines, castles to gin distilleries, there's something for everyone. 

What are you planning to add to your bucket list?
Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I am super excited for the V&A to be opening just down the road from me! 

For anyone else planning to to visit I have a few suggestions for things to see and do: 

Verdant Works - Dundee is famed for it's industrial history and Verdant Works is the place to discover how jute played it's part. 

RSS Discovery - A magnificent ship with a fascinating tale. It has been berthed in Dundee permanently since 1993 and is well worth a visit. 

Glen Esk - The longest of the Angus glens and is stunning. A memorial to Queen Victoria is also along the glen.  

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Can't wait :) 

Pop across to Fife - enjoy the history & heritage of our Historic Scotland & National Trust for Scotland Properties including Falkland Palace 

Enjoy the diversity of the Fife Coastal Path as well. 

Dundee - So much going on in this city. The RRS Discovery right next door  to the V&A is a must visit as is The Verdent Works. Loads of food & drink options too. 

Perthshire - one of the most attractive and diverse counties in Scotland. Scone palace is so lovely. I actually got married nearby at Huntingtower Hotel :) 

Angus - Enjoy the scenery of the rolling hills and glens, to the sandy white beaches along the stunning coastline in the east of Scotland. Lunan Bay is incredible! 

• ArtravelistArtravelist Member ✭✭
    edited September 18
    I had a wonderful visit to the V&A's first day open to the public. Just look at that queue. Although it was busy, there was a great buzz and the flow of people around the building was smooth and well-managed.

Designed by acclaimed architect Kengo Kuma, there is much to admire about the use of light and space in and out of the building and how it relates to the waterfront landscape around it. There are plenty of corners and pockets to explore and the space offers up some unexpected views. You could easily spend a day looking at the exhibitions and eating in the restaurant and cafe. At the moment it is best if you book ahead for the restaurant.

If you are visiting Dundee by train, you can't miss the V&A as it's right opposite the station exit and right next door to Captain Scott's RRS Discovery ship.

It's also on the doorstep of Malmaison Hotel and an easy ten minute walk to both McManus Art Gallery & Museum and DCA.

be an artravelist with me at artravelist.com
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Thanks for sharing @Artravelist!

I saw this great video on Hidden Scotland too:

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram