Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

highlands and orkney

we are planning our first trip to Scotland and cant figure out how long to stay in  1 place --or where to use a place as home base. We want to see Edinburgh, the highlands, skye and Orkney. we are interested in history--medieval, roman, Viking pict,and Neolithic. and we love scenery. How can we arrange an itinerary that's best for us. we plan on using public transit in edinbugh but renting a car  in the highlands on. We will have 3 weeks. are we best to  go to Orkney-how long to stay? or just get a day tour to see the Orkney neothlic sights? I am 65 and my leg gives out occasionally so I'm not a fan of walking tours but can walk sites ourselves   at a slower pace. I want to see the fairy glen and the fairy pools. and hopefully a fishing trip on one of the lakes. Sorry if I'm asking too much at once. I'm exicted to go Scotland--trying to narrow it.

Best Answers

Answers

• Heather1Heather1 Member
    Thank-you for the useful info. We are not seasoned travelers. We will be flying in from Canada and trying to figure out distances  and home bases. On  our last trip( Nevada) U.S.)we misjudged  time and distances and ended up arriving when sites were closing. We want to make sure we don't have to drive 6 hours to see something and try to get back that night. I very much appreciated your reply. Thank-you.