Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Inveraray Castle

Recently visited Inveraray Castle for the first time was very impressed with the Castle quiz for children, my daughter loved searching out all the clues and getting a free gift at the end!  Did you know Downton Abbey Christmas 2012 episode was filmed at Inveraray Castle?,  no neither did I,  just one of the many discoveries I made during my visit.  

Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Good to know, I'm hoping to go there at the end of this month!  
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited May 2016
    Hi @VisitScotlandAlison!!  If you're heading to Inveraray Castle later this month you should call into Ardkinglas Woodland Gardens at nearby Cairndow.  The gardens are beautiful at this time of year with bluebells carpeting the forest floor.  It's also a great place for families to explore!  There's a Gruffalo Trail that twists and winds through "the deep, mirk wid"  where the hungry, but friendly, gruffalo awaits!!  :)
    Will do my best, I love gardens!  There is so much to see the trouble is fitting it all in!
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Inveraray is a beautiful wee town and the castle is a great visit.  If you're feeling energetic climb Dun na Cuaiche to reach the folly you'll see looking down on the town from the hilltop.  The views of Loch Fyne, Inveraray and the Castle from above are spectacular. 

The jail is also a great visit and dog friendly which is a real box ticker for me. 

I love the retro sweetie shop Sweet Memories too and the George Hotel for great food and live music. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Made it to Inveraray via Oban and the idyllic Arduaine Gardens south of there.  Stopped off in Inveraray on a warm sunny Sunday and it was buzzing.  Lots of lovely wee shops open and although we didn't have a lot of time we walked up the castle drive (free on foot) before heading off to the Loch Fyne Oyster Restaurant for lunch. A perfect weekend in the west.
  • mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I was in Inveraray a few weeks ago with a group of South Korean travel writers - and at Inveraray Castle you may often find the Duke himself - in the gift shop - and for a small fee - he will print off a family tree (if you have a name with a Scottish connection) and he will also sign it! For a fabulous lunch - try Samphire in Inveraray - this is an amazing fish/seafood restaurant. Just look at these scallops! (Book in advance!) The travel writers were so impressed by the seafood (and Scotland!)..

The Scotland guide, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation.
    www.must-see-scotland.com

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Love Inveraray and Loch Fyne - it's such a beautiful part of the country! I was able to buy a pint of rock lobsters from a stall by the water in Inveraray once - very tasty - although not sure it's still there... For those who like oysters and seafood, try Loch Fyne Oyster Bar a short distance from Inveraray at the head of the Loch. 
  • JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭
    I am a huge Downton Abbey fan and was very excited when I found out I could go and visit one of the castles featured in a Christmas special right here in Scotland! Needless to say I was not disappointed. The castle is truly stunning and a MUST see for any Downton Abbey Fan! 

• laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    I second the lovely @Samantha_Grant - you must must MUST do the walk to Dun na Cuaiche! The views down to the castle are beyond spectacular - have a look for the route on WalkHighlands, it doesn't take long at all.

Here's some more pictures from our road trip, because you HAVE to do a west coast road trip when you're in Scotland! :wink: https://laretour.com/2016/03/24/travel-guide-inveraray-argyll/

LARETOUR.com 
    Stories from Scotland.
    instagram | twitter | facebook
  • ZarabelleZarabelle Member ✭✭
     @laretour @Samantha_Grant Dun na Cuaiche looks beautiful! I'm going through to Inverary in August so I will definitely leave enough time to walk it! How long roughly would you say it takes to walk up? 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭

From memory it should only take you around 30 to 45 mins approx. to get to the top.  It's steep but the path is good.  It's well worth the effort.  @zarabella

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• ZarabelleZarabelle Member ✭✭

From memory it should only take you around 30 to 45 mins approx. to get to the top.  It's steep but the path is good.  It's well worth the effort.  @zarabella

Ah fantastic thank you! It sounds great :)
  • laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    @Samantha_Grant @Zarabelle agreed! For us it took about 1.5 hours up and back down again. We probably took longer than Sam & her troop as we are most likely less fit :wink:
    LARETOUR.com 
    Stories from Scotland.
    instagram | twitter | facebook