Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

First time to Scotland

Hi, we ( my soon to be wife and moi) are currently planning a drive round your lovely land for our honeymoon late August. We are training up to Inverness and plan to go from there to Isle of Lewis, Kyle of localsh, isle of skye( fairy pools and three chimneys), Glencoe, Lochness, Cairngorms, Loch Lomond then end in Edinburgh. By car I hasten to add. If anyone can add any useful info such as car hire, places to see and stay, things to look for etc would be much appreciated. We are very much looking forward to it!! Thanks

Comments

• It looks like you will be doing a fair bit of driving but the scenery from Edinburgh up to Skye is fantastic.  There are no shortage of options for what to see, hopefully a few of the below options will be of use.

Calton Hill (Edinburgh) - There are no shortage of things to see in Edinburgh but be sure to go up to Calton Hill which is about a 5 minute walk from Princes Street.  Its one of my favourite spots.  I

Fort Augustus - This town sits on Loch Ness and it is a great little place, you can see the Caledonian Canal above or do a boat trip on Loch Ness where you can hunt for the Loch Ness Monster.  If you want another castle recommendation Urquhart Castle is between Inverness and Fort Augustus and it looks out over Loch Ness.

Loch Garry - This is not far from Fort Augustus and is worth a detour, the shape of the loch actually mirrors the shape of Scotland on a map, you just need to get to the right vantage point!

Eilean Donan Castle - This is in Kyle of Lochalsh and its is one of my favourite castles in Scotland and well worth a visit.

Glenfinnan Viaduct - This is in the Highlands region and it might seem familiar if you are a Harry Potter fan as this was in the movies along with the Jacobite Steam Train which goes over it.  You don't need to do the train ride to enjoy the view though, if you time it right you can even get a picture of the steam train going over the viaduct.

Hope these suggestions help and have a lovely honeymoon.
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    @ChrisandKate, I hope you have reserved your table at the three chimneys otherwise you have zero chance of dining there. The Fairy Pools are great and don't forget the Coral Beach just North of Dunvegan.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • If you get to Inverness, head just a few miles further to the Black Isle.  Drive to the gorgeous Cromarty and watch the daily ‘show’ by the resident pod of dolphins.  Back in Cromarty there’s some lovely places to eat too.
    OuterHebridesByMotorhome
  • ChrisandKateChrisandKate Member
    Thanks very much for the very useful comments so far! We have booked a table at the Three Chimmneys thankfully! I will now do some research and tie some, if not all of the recommendations in! 

Tnaks again, its much appreciated. Thanks Visitscotland fo having a useful page!
    Cheers
    Chris
  • KrisKris Member
    I recomend you to spend some time in small fishing town Elgol on Isle of Skye. It's less popular but the lanscape of Black Cuillin is superb :)
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a brilliant honeymoon. 

Cairngorms:
    Reindeer Centre is a fabulous place to visit and hand feed the UK's only free roaming herd of reindeer. 
    Loch Morlich: there are plenty of trails for walking and cycling around the loch. 
    Funicular railway: You can take the 8 minute ride up to the viewing platform on Cairn Gorm mountain (also a chance of seeing reindeer here). Or you can choose to walk up and come back down on the funicular (if you go up on the funicular you cannot go outwith the visitor centre).
    Strathspey Railway: a trip out to Boat of Garten on a steam train.  A great way to see the countryside (and it's quite romantic.

Inverness: 
    Culloden
    Dolphin trips from the harbour

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • KellyFitzKellyFitz Member
    great tips, thank you!
  • AnteAnte Member
    Hello to everyone.
    I just moved to Scotland, Nairn, with my girlfriend. We are both from Croatia.
    I'm not sure where to post this so I will do it here.
    Were driving a car and passed on yellow light and had to stop because od queue and one pedestrian, old man, was yelling that we jumped red light and took camera to photograph road. Not directly us but I don't know did he took photo of us before we spotted him.
    I would like to know is that legal to take photos of cars and send to police or he works for police and his job is to photograph traffic?
    Thank you,

Ante
  • VishwarajVishwaraj Member
    How can one go about planning a solo trip to Scotland, What's the best time?
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @Vishwaraj - you are in the right place for ideas, so that's a good start. 

Personally, I would say any time of year is a good time to visit Scotland. 
    Winter and Spring - Christmas markets, hogmanay celebrations, aurora borealis can be visable too. 
     Autumn: With the autumn colours it is a bonnie place to visit. 
     Summer: Festivals, Highland Gatherings, longer daylight hours 

You can read my blog post here for more.
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • RedtailRedtail Member
    Hi, there ! 

You should try some B&B's. The locals are really nice and will welcome you both with open arms.  We went to scotland for our 10'th wedding anniversary and had an amazing time.
    We combined nature, culture and of course some whisky and haggis tasting ! We didn't get to see the western isles but travelled through the mainland.  We'll definitly go back to see the isles. 

Anyway, enjoy your journey  ! 
  • MK66MK66 Member
    Hi
    We(wife and I) plan to tour for two weeks mid May .
    I would like to think we could go were we want to and not have a schedule to keep to!!

How do you think we should approach booking accommodation ,or not.
    2 star to 4star B&B! 

Many Thanks.
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @MK66, I would recommend to always book in advance!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • MK66MK66 Member
    Would the middle May be busy?
    Book a couple of nights ahead maybe!
    Would there be Mobile Data up the West coast to plan ahead?
    Thanks 
  • HI @MK66 definitely book in advance, it's not quite peak season in mid-May but I'm not sure I'd take any chances. Mobile data on the West Coast can be patchy but it has improved significantly over the last few years. Vodafone and EE seem to be the best in terms of coverage. I've been up and the down the West Coast a fair bit over the last few months and haven't had too many issues.
  • MK66MK66 Member
    Ok
    Will make a note to get a EE pay as you go sim for the trip.
    Many thanks.