Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

The most unique place to stay in Scotland!!

ellisoconnorellisoconnor VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
edited June 9 in Unusual Sleeps

At the end of April I set off for possibly the best place I’ve ever stayed in so far. The Airship 002 is by far the most unique, bizarrely wonderful and remote property I’ve ever had the pleasure of being able to stay in. I drove to Ardnamurchan, a remote area on the West Coast of Scotland to find a place called Drimnin where a truly wonderful place awaited my arrival. The thing that excited me the most was that the Airship sits on a private 4 acre plot so there is no way of seeing the place from the road and you don’t get to encounter the Airship until you are finally at the path to the walkway. A pure joy when you finally spot the otherworldly build nestled within the trees.

The sheer enjoyment at finding this place was fuelled further by a feeling of pure seclusion, unspoilt views right over to the Isle of Mull and a feeling of truly being away from it all. A place to spend time, enjoy the many details of the original build that is like no other and take in the incredible surroundings.

The Airship 002 has been dubbed Scotland’s ‘most unusual’ stay by the Scotsman and you can clearly see why. There is nothing else like this, when sleeping pods are popping up all over the Highlands, it’s a breath of fresh air to encounter and get to stay in a place where you can see the craftsmanship, time and dedication that has been put into every corner of the space. Another reason is because it is located in an area of Scotland which is pretty much off the beaten path. 

An area that is often overlooked by tourists choosing to head straight over to Mull. Ardnamurchan is one of my favourite parts of Scotland and it is probably because of the remoteness. It’s a peninsula which is full to the brim of wildlife, stunning coastlines and features in the landscape that you don’t find anywhere else in the Country. 

The Airship was designed by Roderick James Architects and it is here where they have passionately created an innovative and unique design like no other. It is truly a masterpiece, a modern space age build yet one that feels homely and comforting inside. The views are unspoilt down to the curved glass windows to the east and the west which frame the views over to the Isle of Mull with its dramatic peaks, the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and the ever changing elements that pass over the Airship. I also loved the unique portholes which provide inspiring glimpses of the landscape beyond. 

There is even a little built in balcony to the side of the build where we were able to eat our dinner outside on both evenings looking out to sea in our little secluded bubble. There is also an abundance of wildlife in the area, plenty of sheep, foxes and eagles and a large amount of deer. On both mornings we awoke to seeing Deer crossing the field by the airship: another reason why the build has been done so perfectly: it fits straight into the surroundings without imposing on anything else nearby.

The Airship is equipped with everything you could possibly need within your stay whilst providing a homely atmospheric charm. There is a large very comfortable double bed with a porthole right next to it so I could drift off with views over to Mull and the starry sky above, a fold away table which expands the well kitted out kitchen whilst including a nespresso coffee machine, a hob, fridge and an oven/microwave.

We had big plans for our weekend at the Airship to explore the surrounding area but we decided after the long drive to get to the accommodation to simply enjoy the place and take in all the features of the surrounding landscape from the cosy seclusion of the Airship. The place beckons you to slow down, read, sit by the fire or simply just stare out at the panoramic unspoilt views out to sea and beyond. We had all our supplies with us (I highly recommend stocking up on food before you arrive) the nearest store is quite a drive away!

If you want to explore the area though the private four acre site offers the freedom for visitors to explore the immediate surroundings and take dramatic walks through hills and woodland beyond. There is a wealth of walks to do in the area and you are never short of seeing wildlife along the way.

And so with all of this being said I would highly recommend a stay in truly the most unique property in Scotland! The pictures show how incredibly original this place is but it is a place that you have to see for yourself, a place of wonder and charm and one that beckons you to stay a little longer and appreciate the dedication that has been put into every corner of the space. From a feeling of seclusion like no other, to falling asleep to views of the stars whilst sitting by the wood burning stove and taking in the views of the stunning surroundings, this place has it all and I am very very excited to go back as soon as I can!

To book a stay at my new favourite spot head on over to https://www.coolstays.com/property/airship-002/19480 or http://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/19997279 and be sure to follow along on social media at @outoftheblueltd on instagram! 

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Wow thanks for sharing - immediately adding this to my bucket list!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • ToomaTooma Member ✭✭
    Very interesting. I was in Mull recently, and looking across at this area, I thought it would be interesting to explore; your article confirms it for me. Thanks for sharing, Ellis. Good pics too.

Here is the view I had from Mull.