Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Castle Recommendations

EdinBrawGaryEdinBrawGary VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
We're only just discovering the joys of exploring Scotland's castles, we need to get caught up. 

A recent trip brought us to Findlater (Portsoy) and Dunnottar (Stonehaven), these have inspired us to discover some more. 

Which is your favourite castle, where shall we head to next? 

Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
Tagged:

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a list: https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/1264/list-of-scottish-castles-reachable-by-public-transport

I'd love to spend a weekend in Aberdeenshire just castle hunting. Outside of Dunnottar, I really think Eilean Donan is a really nice castle to visit on the way to Skye.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @EdinBlogger
    Thanks for the lovely pictures. If you like dramatic settings, I can recommend Tantallon Castle close to North Berwick in East Lothian. It sits on the edge of a cliff and overlook the Bass Rock which is home to seabirds like puffins and gannets - stunning setting!!
    Also as @Horizons mentioned you might want to try the iconic Eilean Donan Castle at the junction of 3 Lochs - a strategic point as well as a dramatic setting.
    Enjoy!!  :)
  • VisitScotlandKimVisitScotlandKim Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    One of my new favourites that I've visited recently is Caerlaverock Castle in Dumfries & Galloway - pretty unique as it has a triangular layout! 

• VisitScotlandChrisVisitScotlandChris Member, Moderator

For something a bit different try Hermitage Castle near Newcastleton and Hawick in The Scottish Borders. Great to visit on an overcast or misty day as it gives the Castle an eerie atmospheric feel.

• EdinBrawGaryEdinBrawGary VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips folks, plenty to get exploring now! I'll let you know how we get on. 

Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @EdinBrawGary you should check out the thread @AlistairHorne just created - it might inspire your next castle visit! https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/1518/my-favourite-castles-in-scotland 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Don't forget Culzean Castle down Ayrshire way! Stunning views, beautiful gardens and a fab play area for the kids! 
  • ToomaTooma Member ✭✭
    edited June 21
    I like Tarbert Castle in Argyll and Bute; mainly for the views.
    The last remaining castle, just, out of three which once stood guard over the town and harbour.

• VisitScotlandPatriciaVisitScotlandPatricia Member, Moderator
    Balmoral Castle in Aberdeenshire, The Scottish Home to the Royal Family is open until the 31st.July 2018.
  • ToomaTooma Member ✭✭
    @VisitScotlandMarina Yes, Culzean Castle is one place you can easily spend a whole day enjoying, even if you never entered the castle itself. Very photogenic castle and extensive grounds - I must revisit now that I have a camera again.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I really like Elcho Castle near Perth. If you go on a fair weather day you can go up onto the high barricades (the roof) and get some cracking views along the Tay. Huntingtower, is also a lovely place to visit. Again, not far from the centre of Perth. 

Leven Castle if you fancy something a bit different? Take a wee boat trip across Loch Leven from Kinross to the island where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned. A great place to explore and the nice thing about it is it doesn't get overly busy because the boat can't take that many folk over at any one time. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • ToomaTooma Member ✭✭
    More historic palace than castle, it is well worth a visit just for its historical significance, never mind the wealth of other things to see and learn, and that is, Scone Palace in Perthshire. You can easily spend a full day here with all of the grounds to explore.

This is the Family Chapel.

My own pics.