Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best Beaches in Scotland

TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Scotland's countryside
The sun is finally gracing us with its presence, and all I can think about is running away to the west coast and finding the nearest beautiful beach to kick off my shoes, feel the white sand between my toes and the fresh sea breeze in my hair. I think a wee paddle would be in order too, dependant on the water temperature of course!  :)

It's so hard to choose, but the best beaches I've come across on my travels so far are on*:

(*if you can help me out with any of the below beach names, that would be fab!)

Isle of Vatersay 

Isle of Eigg

Morar 

Iona 

Isle of Lewis 

Where is your idea of Scottish paradise? 
<3 
Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Sango at Durness was pretty spectacular when we visited at the weekend.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Angus is a bit of a hidden gem with some stunning beaches too - here is my commute to work in Arbroath.
  • VisitScotlandAmyVisitScotlandAmy Administrator
    Those beaches on the west coast look amazing - that water is just so blue! 

I like Gairloch on the west coast and on the east, St Cyrus is a beautiful Scottish beach with huge cliffs towering over the sand. 

These photos are from Gairloch :smile:
  • VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited May 2016
    @TheChaoticScot I've moved this thread to the section about Scotland's countryside where hopefully more people will find it useful  :)
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
    The photos I posted above are from Balnakeil Beach by Durness not Sango! Close  :D
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• KenMKenM Member ✭✭
    No photograph, but Sandend beach near Portsoy in Aberdeenshire is a perfect spot, especially for families - we've spend many idyllic days there with picnics, building sandcastles and boogie boarding.
  • FionaMatFionaMat Member
    We grew up spending sunny Summer days at North Berwick beach.  Lovely views out to Bass Rock, award winning loos, and a fab chippy.  What more could you want?!
  • ChanelbabeChanelbabe Member
    Balnakeil Beach in Durness, Sutherland is stunning, miles of beautiful while sands surrounded by mountains and has a car park and easy access.
  • ChanelbabeChanelbabe Member
    Big Sands beach in Gairloch, Wester Ross is also a beautiful beach surrounded by the Torridon mountains 
    Thought I'd revisit this thread after spending time back on some beaches closer to home recently.  East Lothian has some stunning beaches and they're surprisingly quiet considering they're a short hop from Edinburgh. 

Here are a few of my favourites:

Seacliff - Is beautiful and steeped in history. You'll find St Baldred's Boat sitting out in the bay there - a rocky outcrop with a cross on it.  St Baldred's cave can be found in the small carpark above the beach and there are clear views from the beach across to the Bass Rock where St Baldred built a chapel. The remains of Auldhame Castle stand hidden in trees above the beach. There's a tiny harbour too, remarkably carved into the natural rock.  The views from the harbour to Tantallon Castle are stunning. 

Ravensheugh  - another gorgeous beach in the area and one I never hear anyone mention.  Possibly East Lothian's best kept secret now that Instagram snappers have discovered Seacliff?  It has a huge stretch of golden sand. 
    Finally Tyninghame - another stunning beach.  On a sunny day it's hard to believe it's in Scotland.  There's a spot nearby called St Baldred's Cradle (that old local hero again).  There are fantastic views across to the Bass Rock in one direction and the town of Dunbar in the other. The beach is conveniently located close to the chocolate box pretty village of Tyninghame. I love to stop there at The Smiddy for lunch. Excellent service and delicious food.  It's dog friendly outside in the courtyard too which is a box ticker for me. They even have free dog treats and water bowls which is a box ticker for Casper! 

• JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭
    If you are looking for a beach with a little extra, head to Newburgh beach in Aberdeenshire where you are sure to make some new friends!  <3  
  • shetlanddebbieshetlanddebbie Member ✭✭
    West Sandwick beach in Yell is beautiful.  There is mica in the sand which makes the sand sparkle when the sun shines. 
  • ShetlandRachelShetlandRachel Member ✭✭
    St Ninian's Isle on Shetland is an excellent tombolo beach and there was even treasure found there in 1958!
  • ejfraser94ejfraser94 Member ✭✭
    This is where I can really rave about my home town of 18 years! Dornoch may not have a large number of things to offer, it is a nice village mainly with a golf course but one thing it does have is a lovely beach, award winning too. Fond memories have been spent here since I was a bairn, when the weather is nice, it's absolutely gorgeous. The Loch Fleet National Nature Reserve isn't too far away from it either. So if anyone plans to go to the North East of Scotland, mainly Caithness & Sutherland area, do stop and explore Dornoch Beach! :smile:

Stonehaven Beach of course is a completely different looking beach but I have always enjoyed my time there, it's always been a lovely place to escape too if I need to get away from the city life for a bit. Just looking out to the sea instantly makes you feel relaxed. Love Stonehaven, it's a town that will always have a special place in my heart. :heart: 
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Coldingham Bay in the Scottish Borders is small but perfectly formed! I love the colourful beach huts and the beach cafe is a real bonus
  • Our favourite beach is Cul na Croise bay on The Ardnamurchan Peninsula.

• bcedinburghbcedinburgh Member ✭✭
    Luskintyre on Harris - the most beautiful beach I have ever seen !
  • The Western Isles always have amazing beaches. Hoping the visit Tiree at some point. 

Check out the tinberry travels - sharing stories, adventures and travel related nonsense as I explore the world bit by bit

Find me on twitter & instagram

• EileanDonanEileanDonan Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Great call by @bcedinburgh as Luskentyre is truly incredible! But my all time favourite has to be Sanna Bay on the Ardnamurchan peninsula which I've been visiting for over 40 years!
  • gillcmccgillcmcc Member ✭✭
    Fife has some lovely beaches including the wonderful West Sands in St Andrews, home of that famous scene from Chariots of Fire! Burntisland is one of my favourites, my old home town! 
  • Don't forget Loch Morlich - our only inland beach!
  • I really liked Portobello Beach. It has such an air of old time sea side romance... :) It is easy to imagine what it would have looked like in its heyday.. I put some photos of it on my blog http://www.scottishmoments.com/portobello-beach/
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Apart from all the Fife beaches....:smile: my favourite is Stoer Bay, Sutherland. 
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    VisitScotland kindly shared my Lower Largo beach pic earlier this year.  <3 
  • willmackenziewillmackenzie Member ✭✭
    I love Luskentyre beach on the Isle of Harris, but sadly on the two occasions I've visited it hasn't been the nicest of days. Even although, the water is incredibly turquoise and the grey clouds were atmospheric and didn't at all detract from the beauty of the place.

As they've not been mentioned so far, a few of my favourites are on the mainland's west coast.
    • Oldshoremore beach (near Kinlochbervie) is probably my favourite beach and so often deserted (and overlooked by the local Sandwood bay) but is a stunning beach with pure sands, tall cliffs, rocks to sit on and explore and a beautiful bench perched on the cliff before you walk down - somewhere to sit and take in all the beauty
    • Achmelvich beach (near Gairloch) is super and has beautiful white sand
    • Mellon Udrigle beach (near Achnasheen) is also a nice and largely hidden beach. There's a cliff nearby with a cairn upon it which provides a simple ten minute walking challenge from the beach, but rewarding you with a beautiful look back at the beach and the surrounding bay and waters
    • Sango Sands and Balnakeil Bay (both mentioned above) are also big favourites of mine if exploring the north west, so I'll pop them on this list too
    I'll add photos as soon as I'm allowed to by the site's permissions :smile:.
    Edinburgh | Highlands of Scotland | Part-time explorer
    > My Instagram
  • willmackenziewillmackenzie Member ✭✭
    Here we are :smile:

Oldshoremore beach

Achmelvich beach

Durness / Sang Sands beach

Edinburgh | Highlands of Scotland | Part-time explorer
    > My Instagram