Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Cheap(er) eating

Solo traveller on a budget here, but still looking for some nice food options :)
I'm staying in the following cities/towns where I'll probably be getting my food. If any can recommend me a place to eat at good prices, I'd be very grateful. If possible, I'd like to try some traditional things, but I do get that it might not always be possible.
Any suggestion is welcome!
Where I'll be staying: Stirling, Inverness, Portree, Fort William, Glasgow

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Adsagsona, In Portree you can eat cheap & well at the Cafe Arriba (locals hangout). Glasgow try Mother India's Cafe, it serves Indian food on small plates so order a few of them. Inverness has Rocpool restaurant which is excellent. If you take the early evening menu (2 courses for under 20 pounds) you can save a lot. In Stirling you should go to the Sable & Flea coffee shop that has lots of home baking and other food options. Amazing coffee and cheap too. Never been to Fort William so I am struggling on that one. Maybe someone else can help you out with that.
    All the best
    Fishypro
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • AdsagsonaAdsagsona Member ✭✭
    Thank you, that all looks wonderful! I'll be certain to check them out :)
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Adsagsona if you're looking for cheap food in Scotland, one of your best bets is the good ole baked potato! You'll find them in every place you're visiting and they're one of the cheapest & most filling ways to eat :) You can get them with a variety of toppings, but I like mine with a bean chilli. Also if you need food on the go then our supermarkets are great for meal deals (sandwich, crisps & drink). Hope this helps!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • MoFMoF Member ✭✭
    @Adsagson, @VisitScotlandAmanda
    I personally will vouch for the cafe at the Morrisons in Fort William as a good place to get cheap eats.  Its right next to the train station.   We got a great rate at the Premier Inn nearby and kept it very low budget.