Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What do you love about Scotland?

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
The National Trust for Scotland has just released a new campaign full of familiar faces and locals discussing what they love about Scotland.

Which poses the question - what do YOU love about Scotland?

For me, having moved here from New Zealand, I have so much to love about my adopted home, but some key points are:

• The beautiful landscapes and lochs
  • The amazing wild life (will never forget the day I saw my first red squirrel!)
  • The fascinating history
  • The people
What else would you add to this list?

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram

Comments

• ArtravelistArtravelist Member ✭✭

I love that there is so much to see and do. Hidden gems and curiosities at every turn.

You can live here a long time and still be surprised at how much a small country can seem so vast and undiscovered:

- a beautiful view to discover

- a piece of art or honesty cafe tucked away and waiting to be found 

- a small business offering locally-sourced food and drink

- local storytellers that feed your imagination and curiosity

- unusual accommodation - from lighthouse to blackhouse via castles and yurts

- ancient buildings and structures with a story behind every doorway

- bonny floo'ers thriving in a hidden woodland

- unicorns  ;) 

There are so many mysteries to unlock if you seek them out.
    be an artravelist with me at artravelist.com
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    What do I love about Scotland?

I love the people, the culture, the weather (sometimes), the music!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • AYankInScotlandAYankInScotland Member ✭✭
    edited May 8

I’d vote for Friendliness.

I’ve been to several continents and many countries, and each have their own culture and flavor. Overall, people worldwide tend to be reserved (keep to yourself), but I found quite the opposite to be true in Scotland.

As a disclaimer, I tend to be very gregarious and forthright with complete strangers – as I like to make new friends, so I can make a photo – with a story to match each photo. Often the story is better than the photo. I’m outgoing, and tend to gravitate to others who are like-minded, which is just about everybody in Scotland.

That said, I was astonished in several locations (all over Scotland) to be approached by people on the street who overheard me talking, and just simply wanted to add a comment to what I had just said, or be chummy. 

Many many times I was approached by complete strangers who wanted a good chat, or to simply share what they do, what they like, and what life is like in Scotland.

Example: When I toured the St Magnus Cathedral in Orkney, I stepped outside for a bit while my wife was still inside. I met a wonderful fellow named Allen who was enjoying a cigarette with his deer-hounds outside of the church, and I asked him for a photo.

An hour later, Allen had told me all about the tourism in Kirkwall, the economy, what the city council was planning to improve in Kirkwall, his farm and his dog raising business, his favorite Scottish dishes and TV shows, and so much more. For me, this was a precious and unforgettable experience.

If you slow down and take the time talk with a resident of Scotland, they will give you the honest truth, and with great pride and humor. You will not be disappointed.

Allen and his furry lads!

@Horizons - I'd love to hear your take on this.

World traveler, photographer, and humorist. I wrote an article called “26 Funny Observations about Scotland” in September of 2016, that was widely re-published. You can find it here on the Daily Record. You can also find me on Facebook Instagram

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 24
    I don't think i can sum it up in words. 

Maybe this pic will help :)   <3

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @johnmurrayjnr Stunner of a pic John, can't believe you had the patience to wait for it!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭

Almost impossible to answer and narrow down but here are just a few reasons why I love Scotland:

Landscapes - plenty of photo opportunities and walks
    Wildlife - from seeing red squirrels on my driveway to otters in lochs
    People - so friendly, funny and helpful
    Passion - whether it's history, whisky or crofting
    Glasgow - Lots of brilliant memories for me volunteering at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. 
    Quirky - age-old traditions and festivals that are still kept alive

But I think the fact that I now get to call it home is what I love most about Scotland.

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you @VisitScotlandLiam <3 
  • I would add Whisky and Haggis to the list and also Irn Bru the next day after too much whisky!