Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Wallace Monument

I'll be in Scotland towards the end of May. We're driving from Selkirk to Inverness on one of our days. We're visiting Stirling and Doune on the way. My question about the Wallace Monument is, Do I need to stop and actually go to it? Go inside, climb the steps, see the displays, etc. I didn't realize there was more to it than just the outside until a few days ago. It's not a cost thing, just time constraint. I'm willing to do the whole visit, it just puts me at my destination later. I guess my question is how impressive is it and will I be sorely remiss, if I don't. How long would you typically spend there? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Compton49er!

Hopefully this gives you a better idea of what you can expect to see inside: (taken from here)

• The Hall of Arms shows how The Battle of Stirling Bridge was fought and won, and how the weapons of the time were used by Scottish and English warriors, with a film depicting Wallace and Andrew de Moray in conversation after the encounter.

• The Hall of Heroes tells the story of how Wallace has been acclaimed as Scotland's first National Hero.  The centrepiece in this gallery is the Wallace Sword, which struck fear into the hearts of Wallace's enemies.  Surrounding the sword are the busts of Scottish heroes from Robert the Bruce to Robert Burns, each telling a story about their place in Scotland's history.

• On the third floor you can discover the story behind the building of the Monument, and younger visitors will be able to have a go at building their own monument!  
    Hopefully this helps you make an informed decision!

I haven't actually been to the monument myself - not sure if anyone else can speak from personal experience? 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt Member ✭✭✭
    Hi there,

If you want to appreciate the full William Wallace story then it's worth visiting yes. The steps are steep and narrow but the views from up top are magnificent! There are several levels telling the Wallace story and his legacy. You have to buy a ticket just getting onto the Abbey Craig so I'd reserve the time (only 30 mins or so) to take it all in. Hope that helps and this blog may be of further use. Enjoy!
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • NPCNPC Member ✭✭
    It is an interesting and impressive place to visit, but could be a quick stop off but not much to see from the car park.
    Admission cost £10.50 for adults and previous visitors recommend giving yourself a couple of hours inside to read and see everything. You could park and walk up or take the shuttle bus up the hill to the base of the monument, but I would give it a miss unless you have the time to go inside.
    Depending on where your visiting nearby you might get some good views of the monument.
  • Compton49erCompton49er Member ✭✭
    NPC said:
    It is an interesting and impressive place to visit, but could be a quick stop off but not much to see from the car park.
    Admission cost £10.50 for adults and previous visitors recommend giving yourself a couple of hours inside to read and see everything. You could park and walk up or take the shuttle bus up the hill to the base of the monument, but I would give it a miss unless you have the time to go inside.
    Depending on where your visiting nearby you might get some good views of the monument.
    We're visiting Stirling, which sounds like it has good views of the monument, as well.
  • Compton49erCompton49er Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the suggestions. I think I'm going to keep it on the back burner and see how much time we have once we finish Stirling. 
  • PjtPjt Member
    William Wallace monument is an adventure worth your time. In addition to what has already been said, the footpath up to the monument is steep, but by taking your time, a person can enjoy a break at one of many resting spots.

At the monument, please remember that there are 246 steps coming down! 

The wonderful people working that day were absolutely wonderful to my wife and we were celebrating my 60th birthday...

There is a fanciful certificate you can purchase to proclaim the accomplishment of walking the monument... If you are polite, one of the staff will sign and date! 

All the best on your holiday!
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The views are fantastic from the top and as others have said, it's very informative and interesting. 

There's lots of great viewing points from the city though. 

One is from Stirling Castle or just outside. 

Another from the Stephens Bakery right underneath haha 

and thirdly, this one below was taken on a gloomy day from Old Stirling Bridge:

• icecrystalicecrystal Member
    I was there 3 weeks ago.  It might be helpful to wait out front of the visitor's centre.  They run a free minibus straight up to the base of the tower.  It goes every few minutes and give you an opportunity to take some great photos of the view (no cost at all) and a quick peek at some of the ground floor exhibits - or climb the tower (with a ticket from the centre, as others have described).  Either way, this is an amazing place to visit, please put it on your list.