Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Hiking around Edinburgh

Hi there,
me and a couple of friends want to stay in Edinburgh for a few days and then hike for a few more days. Is there anyone who can recommend a hiking route starting in Edinburgh with either B&Bs (or similar) along the way or areas where camping is permitted?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @na95

Scotland has an outdoor access code (documented here) and as long as you follow the guidelines, then you can "wild camp". Apart from that, there are so many managed campsites across the country that you could use, they cost £8 pppn on average if you don't have a car based on my experience.

As for routes starting from Edinburgh, there are some that do exist although my strong recommendation would be to take a train + bus elsewhere and then start a multi day hike. Here is the WalkHighlands link to all long distance walks in Scotland. Both the John Muir Way and the Clyde Union Canals path pass through Edinburgh and the Fife coastal path is nearby.

However, the most popular routes are the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way and there are public transport connections to both ends of both these paths. If you want something flatter, as scenic and laden with whisky then might I suggest the Speyside Way. I haven't (sadly) done a multi day hike or any wild camping across my travels but I intend to break my drought this year.

Let us know if you have any follow up questions. I created this other discussion to give my top 5 managed campsites that I've used (from about 30) and the comment left by @Ewan is most pertinent to you.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)