Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scotland E-Brochures that actually get printed

The E-brochures on this site are really nice but......was wondering if any of them actually get printed up? I would really love to have a few of them I can hold in my hand and look at. Especially the fishing guide on this site. Are there any visitor centers when we arrive at EDI, to possibly pick up any of these? I find it really hard to look at many of these online guides, especially on a phone screen. It's a lot easier to turn a page. Real maps and specific area guides that you can hold are really nice when you sometimes need to see the big picture. 
We will definitely be using a paper map and Google maps on our trip around the North of Scotland. "Old school" when it comes to navigation. Besides how often "GPS only" can sometimes lead you astray on a route that is not for the normal passenger car. We've had some real horror shows with people getting real deep into a bad situation (in Colorado, Utah Arizona Wyoming) because they fully trusted the GPS and did not look at a map.
Anyway..... getting off the subject. Any visitor centers with lots of hand brochures in or near EDI? Thanks 

Comments

• powderglutpowderglut Member ✭✭
    I just found the map of all the I-Centers across Scotland. Will definitely stop at one  as we head north.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @powderglut what paper maps are you planning to use? AA has the definitive road map for the UK (Amazon UK link) but if you wish to carry a paper map for hiking, I highly recommend Ordinance Survey (OS) maps for that region (superb for hiking and very detailed).
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

I was thinking of using the Phillips navigator of Scotland (spiral bound) for road map and also a google maps app.  I haven't quite chosen the hikes yet,  so I  wouldn't necessarily know which OS maps to choose. I thought I may be able to get some maps of Assynt and Torridon mt hikes at one of the local towns. I think we'll be staying Lochinver,  then Gairloch  and then either Torridon or Applecross before we head to Skye.
    So..... do you know if any of the e-brochures are actually printed on paper?
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't. I'll defer to @VisitScotlandLiam and @VisitScotlandAmanda
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @powderglut

You certainly can get paper copies of the Fish in Scotland brochure and all of the area guides in a VisitScotland iCentre

If you are landing at Edinburgh airport you will find one in the terminal building when you arrive. There is also a large iCentre on Princes Street (right next door to Waverley Station). There you will find all of the area guides, maps, Walk Fish and Golf in Scotland glossy brochures too. All the staff on duty are very knowledgeable and will be able to assist. 

You can pick up Scotland road maps in most petrol stations too. 

Whilst you are here on your travels look out for the VisitScotland Coo-Van too. The vans and their teams provide information on the moo-ve and crop up at different events and attractions throughout the summer across Scotland. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
    Fantastic! That was what I was hoping for. I'll probably check out the I-Centre in the airport before we head over to our first night accommodations. Thanks all. This site has so much info. Love it. 
  • lealea Member
    @FullStopNextChapter - I have to see the Coo-Van... kids would love it. I will have them keep an eye out for it! :)