Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

North Coast 500 road trip...Highland Games?

Hi there all...going to be planning a nice little road trip for next summer, can't wait!  I am dying to go see some Highland Games...any suggestions on who might host the best games?  Anyone have any favorites they return to every year?  Haven't actually planned a route yet, so thought I'd get some ideas of where we might want to stop for this :)  Any suggestions are welcome!  Thanks!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Use this year's Highland Games calendar for inspiration. I have been to just one in my life - Inverness 2016. Had a ton of fun and documented my experience here. Posting a couple of shots from the day (I loved how the adults were failing a wee bit on the Highland Fling front). I don't think you can go wrong no matter which one you pick.

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Since moving to Scotland I have loved going to the Ceres Highland Games in Fife. They are the oldest free games in Scotland and have been held in the village since 1314. Because of the "bowl" type arena you get a great raised view of all the action. Not on the North Coast 500 route though. 

I have also been to the Halkirk Highland Games in Caithness. This is a slightly larger event and more stalls and a small fair are also on site. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    It's true, you can't go wrong @laurenhl .

Whichever games is the most convenient to get to on your trip is fine. If there is a particular must-see for you (eg Highland dancing, pipe band, caber tossing), just double-check that it is on the schedule of events.

Go here to see Highland Games in 'map view' and you'll see there are plenty choices near the NC500 route.

I have family connections to Lonach Highland Games and Braemar Highland Games - that's why they would be my favourites  ;)

• laurenhllaurenhl Member
    Thanks so much!  I'm so excited...this will be my third trip to Scotland, but first road trip in the highlands.