Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scotland's Seasons!

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited August 3 in Understanding Scotland
A question that we get asked a lot here at VisitScotland is "when is the best time to visit?".  The answer is any time of the year!  Scotland is absolutely stunning all year round.  Scotland is famous for having four seasons in one day but here's a more in-depth look at the seasons in Scotland!

Spring

The springtime in Scotland usually starts in March and lasts up until the middle of May.  The country starts to heat up a wee bit too with highs of around 13°C.  You'll see daffodils (like in the above picture of Camperdown Park in Dundee) and cherry blossom on the trees.  Spring is the best time to come to Scotland for Easter as there are plenty of things to do with the kids!  Why not go to Laggan Outdoor Activity Centre in Dumfries and Galloway, or have an Easter egg hunt in Prince's Street Gardens?

Summer

Summer - the time everyone wants to come to Scotland!  Scotland is absolutely stunning in summer.  You'll see the long days, beautiful beaches and cloudless skies.  Why not come to Scotland in the summer?  You could catch events such as TRNSMT Festival in Glasgow Green, The Fringe Festival in Edinburgh and the Kenmore Highland Games in Perthsire!

Autumn

Scotland turns its traditional ginger in autumn when the leaves start to fall from the trees like in the above picture on The Devon Way.  Autumn is a brilliant time to snap some shots of Scotland, capturing the reds, yellows and oranges all around.  You still have some of the heat from the summer but Autumn in Scotland is usually 'jumper weather'.  Why not catch the World Pipe Band Championships and the Largs Viking Festival this year?

Winter

Winter usually feels like forever in Scotland because it can get so cold, but it can also be immensely picturesque especially when the snow falls.  The skiing season in Scotland lasts from the start of winter in Novemeber all the way until the start of Spring in April.  Why not have a go yourself at one of Scotland's 5 different Ski centres?  Or take a drive up to Glencoe (above) or Ben Nevis?  Just make sure you wrap up warm because temperatures can plummet to below freezing quite often during the winter months!

Share your pictures of the different seasons in Scotland, we'd love to see them!
Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Nice photos @VisitScotlandLiam but I feel one important details has been missed. Any Scotland trip cannot be complete unless one has experienced all seasons in one day :wink: In all seriousness, I recommend that all visitors carry and rain + wind proof jacket with them all the time unless the next 48 hours of forecast have 0 precipitation predicted in them.

My favourite seasons for seeing Scotland are Spring and Fall. The capital has beautiful Cherry Blossoms in the Royal Botanical Gardens and a carpet of flowers as Spring arrives. Visiting Perthshire as the leaves turn is another sight to behold. A couple of pictures below.

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)