Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

PSA for whisky lovers: May is festival month

HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to create a short Public Service Announcement (PSA) discussion thread to talk about two of the world’s largest and most famous whisky festivals that Scotland hosts in the month of May.

The first one is Spirit of Speyside from 3rd – 7th May. The Speyside region is home to some of the world's best selling and famous Scottish whiskies like Glenlivet and Glenfiddich but also home to HALF the distilleries there are in Scotland! Here's the link to all the events that still have availability (distilleries normally have strict limits on the number of people for H&S reasons) Here's a couple of shots from my 2016 Speyside trip. As with most places in Scotland, the natural beauty is reason enough to visit!

Bonus: There's public transport and subsidized taxi vouchers available on the festival website. I am a public transport traveller and that is all I know but there are enough services running all through the festival to leave your car at home. Get to Elgin by train (on the Aberdeen-Inverness line) and bus 36 leaving Elgin runs through the Malt whisky line once an hour via Rothes, Craigellachie, Aberlour and terminating at Dufftown (I used this bus a lot in 2016).

The second is Feis Ile from 25th May to 2nd June. I wanted to bring the dates and locations to the attention to the many single malt lovers in the office.

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Cannot seem to edit the original post as I fat fingered the submission and wrote "office" instead of "community" out of force of habit. Here's a couple of Islay shots, it has far fewer distilleries than Speyside but talk about character. It is home to some of my absolute favourite (mostly because I love my peat and smoke). Loch Gorm, Loch Indaal, Portnahaven and Machir Bay are so beautiful and the Paps of Jura are a wee ferry ride away!

Dufftown is a great base for visiting Speyside and Bowmore is the same for Islay. I do have blogposts written up from my prior visits for Speyside and Islay. Do feel free to ask any questions on visiting these regions (especially by public transport).

P.S. I will be attending the Spirit of Speyside festival this year! It will be a dream come true and I would love to meet any other member of this Community if they are up in the area as well (over drams of course)
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Thanks for sharing!
    @Jemy sounds like a bit of you
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram