Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Getting to Isle of Skye from London

Hello all,

We might be visiting Isle of Skye in June (probably somewhere around 13-15 June), and we have never been to that part of Scotland before! Can anyone recommend the best way to get there (from London)? One of my friends is not too keen on flying, so I'd be particularly interested in any options involving train or coach travel. Also, can anyone recommend anything in terms of accommodation (we are not looking for 5 star hotels, but maybe something a little bit more comfortable than a YHA hostel)? Would be most grateful for any advice, hints, tips, and general info about Skye and getting there!
Tagged:

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Travelling from London to Skye seems to be a super popular question lately (I like it!) Where I do highly recommend flying into Glasgow or Inverness at least as it will be cheaper and/or faster.

This thread has the 2 ways of making the trip to Fort William from London by train. The more expensive approach is to book sleeper class on the Caledonian Sleeper to Fort William which travels through the night but is significantly more expensive than passenger trains. And on passenger trains, it does take 10 hours best case to reach Fort William. My recommendation would be to sleep over in Glasgow / Fort William on the way up to recuperate. There is a Scottish Citylink bus from Glasgow - Fort William - Portree which should be your next connection no matter which option you choose.

Don't book any travel unless you can find reasonably priced accommodation for mid-June ASAP. The island is literally full the whole summer and I sincerely hope that you get some place to stay that accommodates your group. I've stayed only in B&Bs although a group might be better off in a self-catering, check out the VisitScotland Accommodation searcher to see if any spots in Portree or Broadford (the 2 main towns that are connected by the bus) that fit your dates.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)