Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Road trip with kids from london

Hi everyone, we are going to the Isle of Skye for 7 nights at the end of July with our twins 6 years old. Cottage is booked . We will be driving from London and I would like to add one place/city/village on our way to Skye and another one on our way back to london. Any suggestions of places and one night accommodation for a family of 4 . 

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hiya @Emmylondon25, could you add any previous Scotland trips that you've taken / places you've seen so that we don't re-recommend those areas.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• Emmylondon25Emmylondon25 Member
    Hi there, I never been to Scotland :( it’s been in my list for 11 years living in london. I’m going to Inverness with friends in May for a weekend (Loch Ness, Culloden battlefield , river ness /islands walk...) as it’s a long way from london with kids I would rather this time stick en route to the Isle of Skye. Places on the way would be perfect. Thanks 
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    My personal recommendation would not be to drive all the way from London and instead fly to Glasgow and then rent a car. Not only will it save time, it will save a lot of energy as you'll be spending a decent amount of time getting to/from Skye and seeing all the attractions. And I can defo give better recommendations for stops on that drive.

That said, a similar question has been posed twice in recent memory and my answers within Scotland remain Luss and Aberfoyle. However, as you're driving from London, a Lake District stop would suit your need as a halfway point - specifically Grasmere or Great Langdale. Yorkshire moors is an option on the way back. (Sorry for not keeping my answers not Scotland specific, linking a relevant thread below)

https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/comment/7302#Comment_7302
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• Emmylondon25Emmylondon25 Member
    Thanks Horizons