Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Road trip with kids from london

Hi everyone, we are going to the Isle of Skye for 7 nights at the end of July with our twins 6 years old. Cottage is booked . We will be driving from London and I would like to add one place/city/village on our way to Skye and another one on our way back to london. Any suggestions of places and one night accommodation for a family of 4 . 

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hiya @Emmylondon25, could you add any previous Scotland trips that you've taken / places you've seen so that we don't re-recommend those areas.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• Emmylondon25Emmylondon25 Member
    Hi there, I never been to Scotland :( it’s been in my list for 11 years living in london. I’m going to Inverness with friends in May for a weekend (Loch Ness, Culloden battlefield , river ness /islands walk...) as it’s a long way from london with kids I would rather this time stick en route to the Isle of Skye. Places on the way would be perfect. Thanks 
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    My personal recommendation would not be to drive all the way from London and instead fly to Glasgow and then rent a car. Not only will it save time, it will save a lot of energy as you'll be spending a decent amount of time getting to/from Skye and seeing all the attractions. And I can defo give better recommendations for stops on that drive.

That said, a similar question has been posed twice in recent memory and my answers within Scotland remain Luss and Aberfoyle. However, as you're driving from London, a Lake District stop would suit your need as a halfway point - specifically Grasmere or Great Langdale. Yorkshire moors is an option on the way back. (Sorry for not keeping my answers not Scotland specific, linking a relevant thread below)

https://community.visitscotland.com/discussion/comment/7302#Comment_7302
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• Emmylondon25Emmylondon25 Member
    Thanks Horizons