Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Ferry....from Ireland to Scotland

We are planning on coming to Scotland the first week of October 2018.  We have never been there before and plan on visiting Ireland first and getting a Ferry from Ireland over to Scotland.  Can someone tell me where the Ferry comes into Scotland from Ireland.  We plan on staying in Glasgow for two nights.
Then we want to drive to Edinburg .... should we stay over night there...or can we drive back to Glasgow?

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited March 2018
    Hey @lmcsmiles, You can get a ferry into Cairnryan on the South West Coast of Scotland.  From there you can get the SL bus to Ayr where you can change onto the Scotrail Service to Glasgow Central.

I would recommend staying a night in Edinburgh so you can truly marvel at it's beauty but if you dot want to, it is only a 50 minute drive between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Here's the route on Google Maps.

Let me know if this helps!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • Ted1941Ted1941 Member
    is it really only 50 minutes. i seem to recall many roadworks?
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Ted1941 Yep, only about 50 minutes.  Majority of the roadworks have gone now as they were making the new road but it typically takes 50 minutes to an hour if you go along the M8 and then a wee bit longer if you go on the M9.

Hope this helps!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.