Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Your Favourite Scottish Music Venues

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
Scotland has produced many great musicians over the years but now we look at the places that gave them thee platform to play!  Scotland has among the best, in my opinion, music venues in the whole of the world.  Lets discuss our favourite music venues in Scotland, and include who you have seen there (they don't have to be Scottish).

I'll kick off with...

King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, Glasgow

Often referred to as the best small venue in the world, King Tut's has played host to so many amazing bands and still continues to provide a stage for Scottish acts.  Have a look at their steps of fame here and marvel in the royalty that has performed there.  Oasis, Blur, Manic Street Preachers, Biffy Clyro, Coldplay in times gone by.  Massive names to have graced the stage in recent years boasts well too with George Ezra, Paolo Nutini, Kodaline and The 1975 performing there in the last 5 years; and that's just a few!

If you ever get the chance, do yourself a favour and go and see a band there, regardless of if you know them or not, you may one day!

I've only been to King Tut's once to see Edinburgh based band Vistas support Model Aeroplanes from Dundee.

Barrowlands Ballroom, Glasgow

Next on my list is another famous venue, the 'Barras'.  The Barras is a place that I have been countless times to see so many of my favourite bands, it is a special venue and I am certain that everyone who has played there will agree with me.  Like King Tut's, the Barras has a long, long, long list of famous attendees, have a look here and see if you can find your favourites!

I have been several times to see Catfish and the Bottlemen, Jamie T, The Wombats, Blur, The View but the most special time that i was in attendance at the Barrowlands, was when i was there to witness the Libertines reunion. 

I remember the day I managed to get tickets very well.  They announced a show at Hyde Park in London and announced a few warm up dates, one being at the Barras.  However, it was the same day I left to go on a family holiday (GUTTED), so thought I wasn't able to go and see them.  Until, by some sort of mirarcle (high demand) they announced another date, the day before!  I was in school when my dad text me saying that he had got me tickets, to which I jumped up out of my chair in celebration!

The Libertines are a band who will forever live close to my heart and to say that I love their music is a massive understatement.  It's really funny how music can do that to people.

Where is your favourite music venue in Scotland?  Who have you seen there?
Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.

Comments

• Well you have quite easily picked out Scotlands two best venues.
  • AnnemaridAnnemarid Member
    Oran Mor in Glasgow at the end of Byres Road at the Botanic Gardens end is a great venue.  It is downstairs and enclosed so no windows giving a cavern type feeling. 
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Last year we saw Celtic Connections performances at the Old Fruit Market in Glasgow. What a place that is! 
    Pretty, intimate and full of character. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • AYankInScotlandAYankInScotland Member ✭✭
    We never saw any of the larger shows when we visited Scotland, but we did overnight in Glencoe at the Clachaig Inn, and they have some lovely local music from time to time. Stop by for a pint and tune   :)

World traveler, photographer, and humorist. I wrote an article called “26 Funny Observations about Scotland” in September of 2016, that was widely re-published. You can find it here on the Daily Record. You can also find me on Facebook Instagram

• GennaDesignGennaDesign Member
    If you like small, intimate gigs The Barrowlands (barras) and King Tuts are the best. 
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Now that we're coming into the festival season soon, I thought I'd share a couple more of my favourite venues.

PJ Malloy's, Dunfermilne

PJ's is a great wee venue, its very intimate and the artist is close to the crowd with the stage not being too far off the ground.  I've been to PJ's twice to play there with my band and loved every minute of it!

The Attic (upstairs from The Garage), Glasgow

Another brilliant, small venue.  Scotland is running out of venues like this so it is refreshing to see one doing so well.  I recently saw Leeds based band Marsicans, and Edinburgh indie bands Vistas and Indigo Velvet there.  It, again is a brilliant venue for getting the band close to the crowd and really enhancing the gig atmosphere.

The Mash House, Edinburgh

The Mash House is a 250 capacity venue that looks a lot bigger than it is.  It is a good venue for bands who are starting to gain a bit of momentum to play.  It really adds to the CV of a band that they've played there as it is held in high regard by Edinburgh bands.  I've seen Retro Video Club and Vistas in there and I am sure I will be back in the near future with Sleepless Giants and Half Formed Things playing there in the coming weeks!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • ShaunVlogShaunVlog Member ✭✭
    Totally agree with the two selected - I love them both. I'd also give a nod to Sneaky Pete's here in Edinburgh :)
    Shaun - Scottish vlogger/content creator
    Check out my Scottish travel vlogs on YouTube: /shaunvlog
    and Instagram: @shaunvlog

• Last year we saw Celtic Connections performances at the Old Fruit Market in Glasgow. What a place that is! 
    Pretty, intimate and full of character. 
    @FullStopNextChapter I've seen some the Celtic Connections performances on TV, they look wonderful.  Maybe one day I hope I'll get there in person. 
    OuterHebridesByMotorhome
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    They certainly are @MotorhomeAdventures. It is a brilliant event to discover new musicians too. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube