Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Skye for a week with children at Easter

Hi there
I have a cottage booked for a week near Loch Snizort at the start of April. I have 2 children aged 9 and 12 and am looking for some 'must dos'. So far I have read about Loch Coruisk, Dunvegan Castle, Fairy Pools, Nest Point and Old Man of Storr. Wondering if anyone had any other good places they would recommend. Also looking for excursions. Was hoping to go whale watching but seems we've hit the wrong time of year....
Initially I had hoped to get the ferry from Uig to the Outer Hebrides on a day trip, but it seems that due to ferry times that would involve a night away unless anyone knows any better.
Final question is more in hope than expectation. We are a vegetarian family with 2 vegans. Are there any recommendations for places to eat?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Wondering if anyone had any other good places they would recommend. Also looking for excursions. 
    The few famous places on Skye that I know of not explicitly mentioned above are Quiraing, Sligachan, Kilt rock, dinosaur footprint at Staffin beach and the Fairy Glen. I have a route that I prefer around the island which you give you an indication of how to group a few of these geographically for easy exploration.

Excursion wise, there are bird watching boat trips leaving Portree. Dress for biting cold wind hitting your face to optimally enjoy the sights. Personally, the birds were only visible properly using high quality binoculars or cameras with telephoto lenses.

I highly recommend combining a Sligachan visit with a daytrip to the Isle of Raasay. The coastal walk starting from the ferry terminal is flat and fun! (WalkHighlands description). And the views towards Skye are stunning. More exploration is possible if you bring along your car, I was a foot passenger.
    Initially I had hoped to get the ferry from Uig to the Outer Hebrides on a day trip, but it seems that due to ferry times that would involve a night away unless anyone knows any better.
    You're right unfortunately, the daytrip you seek to do is possible on Saturdays after 5th May. Summer timetable. Might I suggest a daytrip taking the ferry to Mallaig followed by either the Small Isles (Rum being one that I've done) or the beaches on the Road to the Isles (Arisaig / Morar). My notes on the area.
    Final question is more in hope than expectation. We are a vegetarian family with 2 vegans. Are there any recommendations for places to eat?
    Of course I have a recommendation: Ella's cafe, Uig. I lived in Seattle for a few years and have been to restaurants famous for their vegetarian / vegan food and let me tell you that I had my socks knocked off when I could taste the freshness from the exceptionally high quality soups and salads that I had on my visit. I am neither vegan nor vegetarian but can vouch for the cafe 100% (posting a pic of the salad I ate on my visit). Call them before visiting to confirm if they have any vegan options available.

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• mickymackmickymack Member
    Wow - what a wealth of info to get me started! Many thanks. Particularly for the blog post giving an idea of how to combine sites. I may look to do something similar over 2 or 3 days to allow for more time at each spot. Also hadn't thought of exploring some of the 'inner' isles as I had been keen to get right out to the edge! Raasay looks a good suggestion for a 'flat' walk with 2 children who like to moan about walking!
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    One of my favourite pictures has been short from Raasay. And am sharing another picture that I took on the flat walk that I am sure your kids will find interesting (as it awoke my inner kid). Full details in this blogpost.

Happy to offer my help, helping travellers who are planning to see Scotland is what most excites me in my role of Ambassador. Do not hesitate to ask any follow-up questions, there are many others on the community who have a wealth of information to share.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)