Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Top train trips and tips

VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
One of the best ways to enjoy our landscapes is by train - you can sit back, relax and just stare out the window for hours! There's not a route I've taken that wasn't pretty impressive, but the journey between Edinburgh and Perth is quite beautiful. The train runs over the Forth Bridge, along the Fife coast and then through Fife and into Perthshire.

Here's a few quick snaps from the train:

Hopefully you get the idea! 

What's your favourite train journey in Scotland? 

If you've not tried many routes yourself, check out our tips and suggestions for railway tours in Scotland.
Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
    @TheChaoticScot sounds like that train trip really does offer everything - can see why you'd do it more than once! Your blog post is great - couldn't help but notice you posted it a year ago tomorrow - so you'll be due another annual trip now! :smiley:
  • If you are travelling by train this weekend, Scotrail Bike & Go have an offer running until the end May where you can get free membership (usually £10 a year) and two free bike hires (usually £3.80 each for 24 hours) by using the code "scotbike".  

There are bikes at Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh Haymarket, Glasgow Central, Inverness, Kilmarnock, Largs, Linlithgow, Perth and Stirling stations.

Not used them myself yet but if anyone has, would be great to hear from you!

• VisitScotlandNikkiVisitScotlandNikki Administrator, VisitScotland Staff
    If anyone is looking for more ideas on train trips around Scotland - where it's all about the stunning views from the window - check out our Greatest rail journeys in Scotland article!

• shetlanddebbieshetlanddebbie Member ✭✭
    I've never been myself but would love to cross the Glenfinnan Viaduct - so beautiful and, obviously, it leads to Hogwarts! :D
  • ElaineRElaineR VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    The new Borders Railway route has been voted one of the most scenic train journeys in Scotland and quite rightly so in my opinion! 
  • themerrydancerthemerrydancer Member ✭✭
    I have to agree that the Glasgow to Mallaig journey is wonderful (done that journey when on my way to get married on Eigg). The train slowed down on the Glenfinnan Viaduct for all the Harry Potter fans which was a nice touch! 

Also the Ayrshire route from Troon down to Stranraer has some lovely views out over the Firth of Clyde towards Arran. I love that route :)
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I have to agree with @themerrydancer that the Ayr to Stranraer train journey is a lovely route. 

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭

Did anyone catch the Flying Scotsman in May?