Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

First trip to Scotland

My wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland this fall.  We would like to spend most of our time hiking around areas of interest as well as exploring some of the cities.  To that end, we were wondering if we would be better going to Glascow or Edinburgh.  On the map it looks like Glascow has interesting countryside but I am not sure of how many footpaths there are.  I am looking for recommendations.  Thank you

• mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Just north of Glasgow is Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park.  This is easily accessible from Glasgow, it is an area that is beautiful in the fall and there are many places to walk - choose from big mountains, small hills and lots of varied footpaths - both long-distance and shorter.  (Plus lots of boat trips too - on Loch Lomond and Loch Katrine) Check out the national park website for more details plus we have written a page called Loch Lomond facts which you might also find useful.

Pic: Loch Lomond - looking north to the Highlands.

The independent online guide to Scotland, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation.

• Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have a lot to offer you, but I would say that Edinburgh, being smaller than Glasgow has more countryside walks within easy access.
    To the South of Edinburgh are the Pentland hills these are easily reached at various access points with the local bus service.
    If you do a search for pentland hill walks, you will find lots of well documented routes to follow. 

Because Edinburgh is on the coast, there are plenty of coastal walks to choose from too.  Search for Edinburgh coastal walks for details - again these are easily accessed by the local buses.

Recently the railway line to the borders was re-opened, so you can also catch a train and easily access parts of the border country - search borders railway for details.

Finally of course there are walks within Edinburgh itself - Holyrood park and Arthur's Seat, The Hermitage of Braid nature reserve, or there are walkways along the local rivers:
    The water of Leith runs right through the city, and flowing into the river forth at Cramond village is the river Almond.
    Plenty to chose from
  • tcallemantcalleman Member
    Thank you for the good information. Unfortunately they both sound good it's going to be difficult to choose one. :smile:
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    I'd say a lot would depend on whether you were prepared to rent a car or not - if not then Edinburgh has more within easy reach of the city centre. If you are though then a 20 minute drive takes you into the Trossachs, or 30 mins to Loch Lomond, from Glasgow. Hikes like Ben Lomond, Conic Hill, the Luss Hills, Ben Ledi and more would be great options for relatively straightforward hiking. Have fun either way!
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.