Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Planning some Island Hopping via Calmed Ferries

Hey y'all
Planning travel next May (2019). I was hoping to do some Island Hopping. I checked into Staffa tours and the website lead me to believe that when their boats dock their are steps to climb to get onto the island at the majority of their stops. So do to my physical limitations I will not be able to go on those. 
I need to sitck to the Calmac Ferries. I would like to see at least three island. Where ever I visit they would need to have the infrastructure  for me to use my pavement mobility scooter. I`d even spending one or two nights on an island. I would like to see Fingle`s cave from the ferry as we pass by. What itinerary do you suggest?

• MoFMoF Member ✭✭
    Base around Oban or in Tobermory on Mull.  

FYI Finegal's Cave isn't on any of the Island hopping ferry routes.  

But from Oban you can hit up quite a few of the islands some even via day trip.  From Mull you can Hit up Iona (a early christian site)

I'm not 100% sure about the full infrastructure but Oban when I drove through had plenty of well signed crosswalks.   Its a decent sized town.  Has good public transit links and ferries to many places as its CalMac's busiest ferry terminal. 

I haven't been to Mull so I can't comment on the infrastructure in Tobermory but for staying on an island would be the easiest option from Oban.

Also read up on this, Wheelchairs

• LeighCLeighC Member
    Fingal's cave needs a specific tour on a small boat eg as you say staffa tours. Via calmac a great round of a longer kind is over Skye via Mallaig , over to Harris from North Skye (Uig), up to Stornoway and back to ullapool. Needs a car as buses are not mobility scooter friendly but the infrastructure is good. Csl mac do a good brochure for summer inspiration.