Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

10 Best fish and chips in Scotland

2»

Comments

• ArgyllCoffeeGodArgyllCoffeeGod Member ✭✭
    @Tmo63  Anselmo's is an institution!  My dad taught two (I think) of old man Anselmo's daughters and so he was treated to many discounts and conversations in the place.  Sadly that didn't pass to me but they are still great up there!
    Befuddled, bemused & occasionally talking sense.
  • BecksBecks Member
    The Rocketeer in North Berwick has fantastic fish chips (open Spring / Summer) or you can get the summer ferry across to Anstruther for the world famous ones - Wills and Kate used to frequent it too I believe :-).
  • 3penny3penny Member
    Spent the night in Oban recently and went looking for a nice restaurant for dinner.  We kept passing folk with fish suppers which smelled fantastic and found that there was a fish and chip van on the pier,  and there was also a seated area.   My friend got the fish supper which she said was the best ever, and I got a succulent piece of salmon to die for, with chips and salad.  It was a beautiful evening and we just sat with our suppers watching the ferries come and go.  Perfect bliss.
  • mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Glovers in Fraserburgh. Fish doesn't get much fresher. Delicious.
    The Scotland guide, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation.
    www.must-see-scotland.com

• VisitScotlandSarahWVisitScotlandSarahW Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Polar Bites in Kirkcudbright. If you are a Scampi lover like me, you will love it! Fresh and super duper tasty!  :)
  • VanessaVanessa Member ✭✭
    At first I thought that it was Antruther fish Bar, but now I must say that Cromars in St Andrews is the best! they won this year the best chip shop in Scotland, and I completely agree. Plus the tartare home made sauce that they serve there it's awesome :)
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    The best Fish & Chips in Scotland is by far The Bay Fish & Chips in Stonehaven. Nothing more to say on the matter.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • The best place for fish and chips is 'The wee hurrie' at Troon Harbour. A real 'Foodie' hidden gem in Ayrshire. Try it for yourself and see what you think.Enjoy! http://www.maccallumsoftroon.co.uk/wee-hurrie/
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    edited September 8
    If you're in Orkney, it's maybe not fish but a pattie you'll be getting with your chips...

(not my photo)

Fish & chips (and patties) can be got from quite a few places.  Harbour Fry, on Bridge Street in Kirkwall is your best bet.
  • ParsmanParsman Member ✭✭
    A good word for my local fish bar, the Mikado on George Street in Aberdeen. Same Chinese couple have been running it for 30 years now and it does great chips, at least as good as the Ashvale, with fish that is always properly battered and fried. The Haggis Suppers are pretty good too.
  • jackcairneyjackcairney VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Have to agree with The Bay Fish and chips in Stonehaven, not only is the food amazing but it's the perfect seaside spot to enjoy it! You can even take a short drive and enjoy it at Dunnottar Castle.
2»