Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

10 Best fish and chips in Scotland

A fish supper takes some battering.

Fish in crispy batter, plump chips, with salt ‘n’ sauce if you’re in Edinburgh, salt ‘n’ vinegar in Glasgow. Guzzled outside in the cool of the evening, washed down with a glug of Irn Bru.

Best.

Food.

Ever.

Here are 10 great chippies that your tastebuds will thank you for visiting:

There’s Bay Fish and Chips in Stonehaven. It was UK ‘chippy of the year’ in 2013.

At Anstruther Fish Bar you can polish off your fish supper overlooking the harbour.  Watch out for the hungry seagulls though.

The most northerly fish and chips in the UK are at Frankie’s in Shetland. Oban Fish and Chip Shop in the town’s George Street is a stone’s throw from postcard scenery of Oban Bay.

Hungry? Ashvale Fish Restaurant in Aberdeen serves the Ashvale Whale - 1lb of haddock fillet.

Glaswegians smother their suppers from the Merchant Chippie in the High Street with salt ‘n’ vinegar.

It’s salt ‘n’ sauce at Edinburgh favourite, L’Alba D’oro in Henderson Row.

Walking in The Trossachs is great for working up an appetite. Sort it with a fish supper at Mhor Fish in Callendar. Or head ‘doon that watter’ to the Isle of Bute, and Rothesay’s traditional West End Café.

In the mood for a fish supper now. But where’s the best?

Tagged:

Comments

• VisitScotlandRuaridhVisitScotlandRuaridh Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited May 2016
    Portree on the Isle of Skye has some great fish and chips to offer, including: The Lower Deck - Portree Harbour,  The Chippy - Portree Harbour,  Caledonian Café - Wentworth Street, Royal Hotel - Bank Street & The Grannary - Somerled Square.
  • TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed sitting by the harbour in Lerwick tuckin' into this handsome portion from the 'Harbour Fish and Chip Shop'  :)

The 'Plaice to Be' in Pitlochry is also great. The fish is made to order, and they do a mini fish supper for those who don't fancy the belly busting standard size. 
    Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    In Edinburgh The Tail End is excellent. You can sit-in or take away. Lots of choices. Be prepared to wait a little as everything is freshly done while you wait. You might see me there tonight ;) .
  • Best fish supper I have had is at Batter On on Milngavie Road in Bearsden.  Need to add your own sauce though if you hail from the east.
  • arjc1971arjc1971 Member ✭✭
    it has to be "Frankies" on the Shetland Islands.  It was rated the Number 1 fish and chip shop in the UK in 2015 and having sampled the food I can honestly say "ohhh yes"... it was OUTSTANDING.  Just a little far to go from Glasgow to make it a regular take away!
  • VisitScotlandSheenaVisitScotlandSheena Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited June 2016
    One of the best I had was Jaffy's (J Lawrie & Sons) in Mallaig. Coming back to the mainland from a week camping on Rum - the fish and chips in the sunshine - perfect!
  • LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    Cameron's chippy in Stornoway. All the others above are mere pretenders to their crown. 

Thread ends.  :)
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • Robin_Fae_UnstRobin_Fae_Unst Member ✭✭
    I have to agree with arjc1971 Frankies Fish & Chips in Brae, Shetland really takes some beating, excellent hand cut chips, perfect batter every time and super tasty fish!
    From the island above all others, Unst is Britain's northern most island.
    Shetland is an amazing and unique location to visit and all of us Shetlanders are eager to share our wonderful little part of the world with everyone, so come along & visit us. 
    Join me on my underwater explorations of Shetland at my instagram @rdmouatt ;
  • ShetlandSophShetlandSoph Member ✭✭
    A visit to Shetland would be incomplete without going to Frankie's Fish & Chips, I have never tasted fresher or tastier fish and chips anywhere else! 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Ullapool chippy is awesome.  Also agree re Arbroath Harbour.  Location wise you can't beat the wee fish and chip van on Tobermory pier. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• MargaretMargaret Member ✭✭
    A friend of mine reckons the best 'fish n chips' can be found in Tyndrum - will find out the name and let you know :)
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's the Real Food Cafe in Tyndrum.  I have an Instagram buddy Martin who raves about the place and their fish and chips. @Margaret I need to stop one day and see if he's right. I'm usually shooting by en route elsewhere. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• MargaretMargaret Member ✭✭
    Ah perfect thanks for that :D
  • VisitScotlandLyndsayVisitScotlandLyndsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    The Wee Kelpie in the seaside town of Helensburgh is excellent. They do a great cod supper with homemade mushy peas and tartare sauce. My last visit there I treated myself to a monkfish supper.....yummy. Another one of my favourites is Jaconelli's  in Dumbarton,  you can sit in or takeaway. They do a mean Orkney black pudding supper....
  • IornamacIornamac Member ✭✭
    Anstruther Fish Bar has to be my favourite,1st tried their fish and chips after a boat trip to the Isle of May all that sea air really works up an appetite.
  • RuMacdonaldRuMacdonald VisitScotland Contributor
    For golfers the Tailend in the centre of St Andrews is awesome. Nothing beats taking your handful of chips and walking down to watch golfers finish out on the 18th green of the Old Course in late evening summer sunshine. 
    RU MACDONALD
    Scottish Golf Travel Expert
    Instagram @scottishgolfpodcast
  • JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭
    The Bay Fish & Chip shop in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire offers not only award winning fish and chips but is located right on the coastline, so you get a beautiful view out to sea when your enjoying your supper  B) If you have a bit of a sweet both like me, pop next door to Aunt Betty's for some ice cream. They even have one for dogs!  
  • IornamacIornamac Member ✭✭
    Ice cream for dogs .Do you know how many flavours?
  • JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭
    I think there is only one @Iornamac but they also do a dog pic n mix  :)
  • Push the boat out and have a treat - boiled lobster from the Lobster Shack in Crail Harbour - fabulous seafood with wonderful views over one of the most picturesque harbours in the most delightful of villages. 
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Blair Atholl is a handy stop off the A9 and Food in the Park is as pretty a wee chippy as you could hope to find, with picnic tables outdoors and although I didn't have the fish, it was once of the best haggis pudding suppers I've ever had.  I was starving after a day in the hills .... "hunger's the best sauce" as my granny used to say!
  • CLARKSMUMCLARKSMUM Member
    Sooo many Anstruther in Fife is always voted one of if not the best in britain 
    also north berwick pub the ship do a great fish n chips (th chippy next door is great also )
    Brunos on Callander High st
    The chippy in Tyndrum cannot for life of me remember the name
    Crollas in Musselburgh
    and the Drovers Inn
    all of them offer a great view too xx

• clairefclairef Member
    Definitely La Mirage in Helmsdale, Sutherland - the portions are huge and it's always great - you can't miss it if you are in the North!

From Royal Deeside, Aberdeenshire. 

Working in whisky.

Love being outdoors mountain biking, hill walking and skiing.

• Listen up!

Oban Fish and Chips (takeaway/restaurant) is something else when it comes so deliciously unhealthy food!

I went to Oban on a family holiday a few years ago and this was one of the fond memories I still have of the trip. I think it was our last night and we decided to get a fish and chips (we sat in to eat because it's Scotland so it was raining :neutral:) and it was so perfectly cooked we didn't want to finish it.

So if you're ever in Oban I suggest you check it out! :smile:
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr Member ✭✭✭
    Growing up in Anstruther meant I was spoilt for having award winning Chippy's on my doorstep. The Fish Bar is so tasty and I'd also say a traditional fish n' chips experience is to be had at Pittenweem Fish Bar!
  • ZarabelleZarabelle Member ✭✭
    I have to agree with everyone that has already mentioned the Fish Bar in Anstruther - it's amazing! I always sit in rather than take-away because I love the little details like the bread and butter and the mugs of tea that come with it. 
  • Tmo63Tmo63 Member
    Anselmos in Dunoon...
  • HayleyforsonHayleyforson Member ✭✭
    Yep I would agree with Anstruther Fish Bar - it completely changed my mind about battered fish (which I wasn't a fan of previously!)

I also had awesome fish & chips in Plockton (The Harbour Fish Bar), which is a short detour off the road to the Isle of Skye from Eilean Donan Castle  :)