Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Suggestions on itinerary for 5 days - Edinburgh to Edinburgh

Hi all,
I am requesting suggestions on a 5-day itinerary from Edinburgh to Edinburgh.

Basic details:
Plan for late-May 2018
8 adults (2 are 60+, other between 35-40) and 6 children (between 4 and 13)
Flying into Edinburgh Airport late evening Day 0, picking up rental cars, staying over night in Edinburgh. Starting on Day 1 and driving to different places over the next 4 days. Return the rental cars on Day 4 at Edinburgh Airport. Stay in Edinburgh that night. Edinburgh sight seeing (walk / public transport) on Day 5. Fly out of Edinburgh late evening Day 5.

We love natural landscapes, views, lakes, waterfalls and scenic drives - these are our top priorities. It would be good to cover some moderate walks, a couple of castles and at least one distillery as well. Not interested in museums or amusement parks this time.

I would like to cover:
Edinburgh, Pitlochry, Cairngorms National Park, Loch Ness, Fort William, Ben Nevis, Glen Coe, Glen Finnan, Malaig, Skye/Portree

Places I've read worth seeing/visiting are:
Queen's view
Glenfinnan Viaduct and Loch Shiel
A830 ("ROAD TO THE ISLES") from Ben Nevis to Mallaig - including Glenfinnan Viaduct, switch to the B8008 from Arisaig to Morar for the true road to the isles
the scenic drive from "GLENCOE TO FORT WILLIAM"
Eilean Donan Castle
Quiraing, the Fairy Pools and the Old man of Storr
Edinburgh Royal Mile/Parliament/Edinburgh Castle

Please share if there are any suggestions on the detailed itinerary. Please include any Must-See places, scenic routes, stops for view, overnight stays. Finally, please also advise if I need to make any bookings (for example Mallaig - Armadale ferries)

Thank you.