Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Skye Trail or Cape Wrath or ? late June early July

We are considering hiking the Skye Trail around the last week of June/first week of July. We hear that Skye is very crowded but is the trail also crowded? Would we be better served doing part of the Cape Wrath Trail? We are experienced hikers and we have 6-7 days to hike, though we are in the country for about 16 days and there is flexibility. We like rugged terrain- beautiful places--fewer people- fishing would be great too but we would need to rent gear. When we travel we like to see remote, off-the-beaten-track places. Right now the rough plan is Glasgow -Skye-maybe Harris-maybe hit Ben Nevis-Edinburgh. We look forward to your suggestions! 

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @dcfma
    Although Skye is a very busy place in summer, the Skye trail seems to avoid more touristy places apart from the Old Man of Storr and the main towns (Portree, Broadford). I don't think it would be too busy most of the time - but you need to be very experienced at map reading as the trail is unofficial and not signposted. Please find the official website here. If you need accommodation, please remember to book in advance. I visited Skye in September a year ago, and although busy, I really enjoyed my time there. 
    With the popularity of the tourist route North Coast 500Cape Wrath Trail might not be totally quiet either. It is much longer but as you quite rightly say you can do it in stages.
    The choice is yours really and I'm sure you would enjoy both equally as the scenery is spectacular for both routes. 
    Harris is a great place too and will be much less busy than Skye. You might find Ben Nevis is too popular for your liking...