Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Seeking Advice

Hi, we are a bunch of friends planning to visit Scotland in June 25th till 28th for 3 nights from Heathrow in England.

I am trying to put together a travel plan from Heathrow to Scotland touring by road.

Our Planned visit is by road only using a large Motorhome. As June’s weather falls into summer time we are hoping to have some fun time together.  We will be carrying necessities for BBQ and camping. We plan to do some historic sightseeing; discovering countryside, touring around riversides and canals, Canoeing/boating, exploring wild life, Caravan Parking and barbecuing. I am seeking advice and knowledge from the community to help me design a journey, which will entertain us throughout. Thank you. 

Comments

• jacqakkrjacqakkr Member
    Hello, that is a lot to pack into a three day tour?  Where in Scotland do you want to end your tour as this will influence the route you want to take. 
  • Hal3036Hal3036 Member
    edited February 8

Hello @jacqakkr , yes lot to pack in 3nights. This is my first visit to Scotland by road, I am thinking to Enter through Glasgow and take the route A82 this route looks interesting as it navigates through some great places. I am hoping to pass through Loch Ness and take the A9 to return back Glasgow and then to London.

It will be helpful to know if there are any physical activities like canoeing center or other types of adventurous activates located on my route. Are there any Camping sites along the way?

Are there any parking restrictions on A82 and A9 for large 6 bed Motorhome to be parked overnight. Are there any special caravan-parking facilities available on the way? cheers.

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @Hal3036!

After you leave Glasgow I'd recommend heading straight to Loch Lomond for your first night - there are lots of camping spots and the Loch itself is beautiful!

After that you should head up through Glen Coe and Fort William through to Loch Ness. You should be able to spot some Highland Coos on this route, so keep an eye out, along with all the beautiful scenery and hopefully wild deer too (esp if you stop in at the King's House Hotel in Glen Coe)

I'm not personally sure on the parking restrictions but I'm sure someone else here might be able to help you with that one!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram