Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Best traditional Scottish music? Your recommendations please!

laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
edited January 29 in Arts and Culture
We've all heard the iconic bagpipes, but what happens when you fuse traditional Scottish music with more modern inspiration?

On Saturday I went along to a Celtic Connections show at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow called 'Bothy Culture and Beyond' (for those who don't know, CC is an annual festival of traditional music). This huge show which, along with an insane Skye-inspired set, featured famous trials cyclist Danny MacAskill performing alongside the Grit Orchestra. The musicians were playing songs from Martyn Bennett's albums such as Bothy Culture and Grit.

The music was AMAZING <3  If you could bottle what being in Scotland feels like, convert it into sound... Well, you're halfway there. I've been listening to Bennett's albums ever since on Spotify and I'm a little bit obsessed!

SO... I need some more recommendations! Trad music fans, what are your favourite bands, singers, musicians?

I'm also a big fan of Skerryvore (who are great live) and Ryan Young (a VERY talented fiddle player who grew up just down the road from me!).

Comment below - I need to get some gigs in my calendar for 2018  :)

Laura x

P.S. If you don't know who Danny MacAskill is and where cycling fits into it... Watch this!

All images my own.

LARETOUR.com 
Stories from Scotland.
instagram | twitter | facebook

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I love Skerryvore too
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• JemyJemy Member ✭✭
    I went to Celtic Connections as well and loved it! GRIT and Niteworks were both really good. I loved it when they had the dancers aerial dancing!

Best of the west was really good last year, really scenic setting too! 

• laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    @Samantha_Grant Skerryvore, was! I will need to look and see where they are touring next :) 

@Jemy those dancers were brave eh?!

LARETOUR.com 
    Stories from Scotland.
    instagram | twitter | facebook
  • SuleskerrySuleskerry Member ✭✭
    @laretour Martyn Bennett was a legend and unfortunately taken from us far too soon, what he did with music was amazing and really ground breaking at the time. I went to the first Grit Orchestra concert at CC in Jan 15 and it was incredible, Martyn would have been so proud. Unfortunately missed this one, but its being broadcast on BBC2 tonight so I will be cranking up the volume on the TV and having a dance!

Other music that I like that fuses traditional with other styles - Treacherous Orchestra, Peatbog Faeries, Manran, The Chair and Salsa Celtica for a bit of latin/scottish fusion.