Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Which Island?

Hi all, I have a small motor home and usually visit twice a year, normally the West Coast, Skye and Outer Hebridies. This year I'm thinking I may like somewhere different and would love to know what you think of Mull and Tiree as a destination. I like to photograph and watch the wildlife, I will be travelling self sufficient with friendly well behaved dog.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28
    Hi @garyb I think Mull would fit the bill perfectly.  It’s a phenomenally beautiful island for a road trip.  It’s also very dog friendly, so you’ll find lots of places to eat dotted around the island that’ll accept your four-legged friend. Mull is famed for its wildlife, especially Golden and Sea Eagles.  You’ll also spot seals, plus dolphins, and otters if you’re lucky.   From Mull you can day trip to Ulva and Iona.  You can take a dog friendly boat trip with Staffa Tours to see the spectacular Fingal’s Cave - not to be missed.  If you check the Inner Hebrides section of my blog you’ll find a few blogs dedicated to the island. 

https://theweewhitedug.com/

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @gary_b  I've never been but I hear Arran is amazing!  Something to take into consideration!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @gary_b Mull or Arran would fit your bill perfectly for the Inner Hebrides. Coll is beautiful if you just want to relax, Tiree is perfect for watersports. I am off to Islay very soon so I shall report back. 

I have a couple of Island guides here - http://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/tag/island-guide/
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

• gary_bgary_b Member
    Samantha, great blog very enjoyable reading, and very nice to know that Mull is dog friendly, (I can't understand why Skye isn't high up there on your list, I have thoroughly enjoyed all but my last visit...on that occasion I had crossed over from the Outer Hebrides on a bank holiday and it seemed every one and his dog had descended onto the island so I drove straight back to the mainland).
    Liam I will consider Arran for a future break, its looks amazing.
    Smidge, thank you for recommending Mull, I'm going to have a sit down later and have a good look through your blog.
    I have now formed a rough plan.........barring a storm...a trip in March to visit Mull and a couple of days on Tiree just to check it out for later in the year when i will return for at least two weeks with my better half, destination unknown.
    And the icing on the cake (almost literally) (combines three of my favourite things: Scotland, cake and aeroplanes) I'm flying into Barra for a slice of cake and cup of tea (for one of those big special birthdays) before returning home in time for bed :) Literally a flying visit but one I'm really looking forward to!!!

Thank you all for the advice, and I'm sure to keep checking your blogs
  • ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    I haven't been to Tiree but Coll, its neighbour is absolutely stunning.