Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

5 day visit to Scotland in April - road trip, hints and advice.

Hello all. My friend and I fly into Edinburgh on Tuesday afternoon 3 April and fly out from Edinburgh Saturday evening 7 April. We intend to hire a car and do a road trip during our 5 days in the country. We are Irish, have visited Glasgow and Edinburgh before so recommendations for where to go would be appreciated. We enjoy good food, have an interest in culture, art and history. Places to stay we'd like would be small B&Bs, guesthouses or hotels. Ireland has stunning scenery so we would like to see some of Scotland's!

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @Kerrydiva
    You are right! Scotland has some amazing scenery too! It really depends how far you want to travel. Perthshire, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs are pretty close to Edinburgh and Glasgow and offer some fantastic scenery. If you would like to go further into the Highlands you can drive through Glencoe to Fort William and Loch Ness or head for Oban and Mull for example.
    Here is a link to VisitScotland's website for touring Itineraries. For accommodation details please use the accommodation search engine on our website.
     Wishing a very pleasant holiday in Scotland.  :D
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Kerrydiva!

Hiring a car is the best way to do it cause you'll have lots of freedom to explore. It's quite a lovely scenic drive if you head north to somewhere like Aviemore as you'll pass the Cairngorms which are absolutely stunning. 

From there you could always drive east and visit Aberdeen and Stonehaven. Dunnottar castle just out of Stonehaven is on a cliff top with stunning views and Stonehaven is said to have some of the best fish and chips in Scotland.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions and how you get on with your planning :) 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Kerrydiva If it's scenery you're after you have to see Glen Coe!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • SmidgeSmidge VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    @Kerrydiva

I have my own 5 day itinerary here, it takes in the 'best bits' of central Scotland that you can get to in that period of time. 

https://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/scotland-road-trip/

Day 1 - Edinburgh to Stirling
    Day 2 - Stirling to Loch Lomond
    Day 3 - Loch Lomond to Fort William (including Glencoe) 
    Day 4 - Fort William to Loch Ness
    Day 5 - Back to Edinburgh via Perthshire

Or I would suggest the Angus Coastal Route

https://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/dunnottar-castle-angus-coast/

Or the East Neuk of Fife 

https://www.lovefromscotland.co.uk/east-neuk-fife/
    Kate - Scotland / outdoor blogger at Love From Scotland
    Climbs hills, takes pictures. Likes remotes places.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram