Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

May or June

We're trying to plan our first trip to Scotland and first things first is for us to agree on a time.  I've been told by friends that while warmer in the summer it's also much more crowded (and Edinburgh in August is packed!)  So the spouse and I are thinking mid to late May or early June.  What's the weather like then? And just how bad/where are the midges?

Thanks and so excited to be going :smile:

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭✭

What's the weather like then? 

If I could accurately predict the Scottish weather 4 months out, I'd be raking in the £. Worst case: Rainy, windy 10C. Best case: sunny, clear, 26C. The funniest thing is I saw these 2 days back to back on Orkney in 2016 while tripping around in June. Be prepared for wind and rain with a single wind + waterproof jacket and wear shoes with a proper grip (especially if you plan to nature walk).

Loch Lomond is ridiculously bad for midges but unless you plan on camping, I wouldn't fuss too much over them. Always carry a Smidge or Avon Skin so Soft handy and apply some before going on a trail.

Hope you get the best weather Scotland has to offer for your trip. Feel free to ask for Scotland travel tips based on your proposed itinerary or interest, the community will be happy to help.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week (fully by public transport)

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Late May and you might be lucky and get away with a no midge trip. The east coast is blessed with less of a midgey problem if you were wanting to come later in June. This shouldn't put you off visiting the west coast though. 

The plan for the weather is to be prepared for every eventuality. Wear layers, pack a waterproof jacket and you should be okay. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • Thanks for the info!  We went to Maine and Arcadia National Park where in the morning it was so misty and foggy we couldn't even see Cadillac Mountain (but drove up it anyway) but that same evening we went back and could see for miles.   So far our plan is to drive a round trip from either airport and see as much as we can.  When we settle on the month I will be back with loads more questions :)
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @CameraGal_46 - oddly enough, we had one of our hottest days of the year last year in May, rather than in the summer months. Either way I'm sure you'll have a great time. Do you know what towns/cities you're hoping to visit while you're here?
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram