Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Great B&Bs in Scotland – where and why?

VisitScotlandHayleyVisitScotlandHayley Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited April 2016 in Hotels and B&Bs

Smoked haddock with poached eggs, Beul na Mara Guest House, Seilebost, Isle of Harris

Last week I was looking into 11 top-quality B&Bs in Scotland – one of them even makes their own yogurt!

Have you stayed in a Scottish B&B you want to shout about? Where are they based and why did you love them? Let us know!

Comments

• arjc1971arjc1971 Member ✭✭
    I stayed in the Hayhoull on the Shetland Islands last year.  Beautiful views and a very warm welcome
  • CookieCookie Member ✭✭
    Just stayed at Crubenbeg House near Newtonmore, fantastic selection on the breakfast menu including a stack of pancakes and a lovely Breakfast Cranachan

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    The Crubenbeg near Newtonmore is fantastic. Totally second your recommendation.  John and Irene are the perfect hosts. Irene's breakfasts are second to none and what a breakfast menu. We've stayed a couple of times and are welcomed like old friends. They even send us a Christmas card. It's dog friendly too which is even better. @Cookie
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• laretourlaretour VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Ardtorna, just north of Oban. Holy moly, I have never stayed in such a nice B&B! The owners are lovely, there's food galore, amazing breakfasts, warm scones on arrival and a fantastic view across Loch Creran... I'd go back every weekend if my bank balance would allow it :)
    LARETOUR.com 
    Stories from Scotland.
    instagram | twitter | facebook
  • IknowluxuryIknowluxury Member ✭✭
    Pool House in Poolewe, Wester Ross is stunning if you are looking for combination of eclectic opulence and magnificent views of expansive lochs, rugged mountains and spectacular sunsets.  
  • HayleyforsonHayleyforson Member ✭✭
    I stayed in Grove House B&B in Connel, near Oban, with my family in May. It was such a lovely experience; the owner was so friendly and welcoming and really went out of their way to assist us. The rooms were also very comfortable with amazing views... but the breakfast was my favourite! The nicest thing about staying in a B&B or Guesthouse is when you get to enjoy a nice breakfast with the other guests. There were others guests staying from Canada, Germany and Australia so it was great to hear all of their stories! 
  • JenniEdinburghJenniEdinburgh Member ✭✭
    My favourite B&B in Scotland is Letham House in East Lothian. I stayed there a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it! Such a relaxing weekend in a stately home with a luxurious lounge that felt like our living room. The breakfast was excellent and owners lovely. 
  • Strathearn B&B in Kildonan on Skye was really lovely for a relaxing stay. The accommodation and breakfasts were excellent. The hosts were so friendly and gave us really great tips for our trip to Skye. I can warmly recommend it. 
  • One of the best guest houses I have ever stayed in was The Cottage Stein on Skye - Fiona and John were lovely hosts and the views from the beautiful bedroom were fabulous.  http://www.thecottagestein.co.uk/live/index.php/en/
    Donnie
    Your Scottish Tour
    Tour Website: www.yourscottishtour.com
    Food Blog: www.theboyseatscotland.scot
    Twitter: @boyseatscotland
    Instagram: @boyseatscotland
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    Baldiesburn B&B in Muckhart is lovely as a base for exploring central Scotland with a bit of affordable luxury - and the Muckhart Inn up the road is brilliant!
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Heatherdale B&B in Gairloch is fantastic.  It's set in a leafy, elevated position near the harbour.  The place is beautiful inside and there's a huge residents lounge with wood burning stove. Our room was a sea view king. It's one of the comfiest rooms I've ever stayed in. Breakfast was good too. We didn't want to leave.  it's also dog friendly. 
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    The Lagavulin Excise House at Lagavulin, Islay is one of my favourites in Scotland because
    • Staying at an erstwhile excise house would get any whisky nerd excited.
    • Located right at the center of the Ardbeg - Lagavulin - Laphroig path. 
    • A very comfortable king bed with high thread count sheets.
    • Economical (65 GBP a night)
    • Large breakfast including Laphroig jam that I've only seen in Islay & has a unique taste.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)
  • VisitScotlandBrianVisitScotlandBrian Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Horizons said:
    The Lagavulin Excise House at Lagavulin, Islay is one of my favourites in Scotland because
    • Staying at an erstwhile excise house would get any whisky nerd excited.
    • Located right at the center of the Ardbeg - Lagavulin - Laphroig path. 
    • A very comfortable king bed with high thread count sheets.
    • Economical (65 GBP a night)
    • Large breakfast including Laphroig jam that I've only seen in Islay & has a unique taste.

I've taken note ! I've been pondering a trip to Lagavulin for a while now and this sounds like the ideal location and like you say what Whisky nerd wouldn't be excited by staying in an excise house :-)
  • willmackenziewillmackenzie Member ✭✭
    I'm completely biased, because I'm their son and I grew up there, but my parents run the Old Drynie House B&B, on the Black Isle, just north of Inverness. It's situated perfectly, right on the start/finish line of the North Coast 500 (NC500) and a stone's throw from Loch Ness and Inverness. It's truly stunning. It's also pitched at a premium audience, so price may be an issue for those on a budget, but it has won several awards including being voted Scotland's Luxury B&B of the year in 2016, by the Luxury Travel Guide.

They're putting in a hot tub for this season (starting next month) and they make a fantastic, locally-sourced Scottish breakfast (winner of the VisitScotland 'Taste our Best' Award) with many options for any type of appetite. Perhaps best of all, the grounds are 20 acres of Victorian parkland, yet ten minutes from central Inverness. They also have a special 'Family Suite' of two rooms, for guests who would like a private area to themselves and their family.

Here are a few snaps to whet your appetite :smile:

Edinburgh | Highlands of Scotland | Part-time explorer
    > My Instagram
  • VisitScotlandAlisonVisitScotlandAlison Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited May 1
    We visited Ardtorna near Benderloch last weekend and were overwhelmed with the attention to detail, the wonderful hosts Sean and Karen and the breathtaking views.  5 Star Gold very well deserved.
    www.ardtorna.co.uk 
  • CJLambieCJLambie Member
    I've stayed in Struan Hall in Aboyne several times, it is fantastic!
    Real (ground) coffee, fresh milk and home-baking as part of the tea & coffee facilities in your room, and you can't beat waking up to the smell of freshly baked bread for breakfast each morning.
    Rooms are a good size, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean with lovely guest toiletries. There is a very comfortable guest sitting room with a selection of magazines and books with the added bonus of a choice of Port or Whisky - you must try the Port with the sipper glasses!
    A wonderful find and always my first call if I have to stay in Aberdeenshire