Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

How safe, easily accessible and pet friendly is Scotland in general?

Hi everyone, I’m originally from Singapore, lived in England for about 3 years and have been dreaming about visiting Scotland.

i have to say I’m a little timid but am working on it, hence my plans to travel there for a short stay with my little dog for, say 4-5 days?

I’d love to know how safe it is to travel alone-for strolls on the beach/visiting castles Etc... 

i don’t drink so pub visits wouldn’t be in my itenarary. But I adore salsa/bachata so might consider visiting without my dog if there is a place that is easily accessible. :)

i forgot to state that I can’t drive at the moment(learning but it’s gonna take a while)

thank you very much in advance!

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Fluffaduff

Thanks for your post. Scotland is generally safe and lots of people walk along beaches with their dogs. You wouldn't be able to visit castles with your dog though.
    You will be able to find salsa dancing in the big cities like Edinburgh or Glasgow - for example in El Barrio in Edinburgh and Glasgow. They are very central - Hanover Street in Edinburgh and Albion Street in Glasgow.
    If you don't drive, you might consider staying in Edinburgh and taking day trips out.
    I hope this information helps. Have a great holiday in Scotland  :D
  • FurrybootsCityFurrybootsCity Member ✭✭
    edited December 12
    Hi there @Fluffaduff!!

Excellent to hear of your plans to visit Scotland in the near future!

I would suggest a stop-off in Dundee, either a short stay or day trip. Later next year in 2018 the V&A Museum of Design Dundee will open. It will showcase Scottish design and innovation and will be the UK's first dedicated design museum. 

Dundee is also the UK's first UNESCO City of Design, awarded in 2014 so there is a real growth in the creative sector in the city.

Other highlights in include the city museums such as McManus Galleries,  free entry, RRS Discovery and Scottish Jute Museum @ Verdant Works which are both looked after by Dundee Heritage Trust and are both paid entry.

Extremely close to Dundee is the seaside suburb of Broughty Ferry. It is set alongside the River Tay and has a brilliant choice of independent shops, eateries and pubs. You also have the imposing Broughty Ferry Castle which was built in 1496! An even better fact is that Broughty Ferry has a great beach area that stretches eastwards along sand dunes and paths along to Barnhill. This is a popular spot for dog walkers and other leisure activities. Along this route is the lovely Glass Pavillion, an art deco restaurant which has a great seating terrace in which dogs are allowed. It is just superb on a sunny day and in the summer months from this area you might be lucky enough to spot bottlenose dolphins in the that spend their summer holidays in the River Tay!!! :)

Dundee is well connected by road, bus and train and as such you can even take short trips out of the city by for example bus or train to Arbroath which as plenty of coastal walks and beach area or up to Montrose which has a great coastline over looking the North Sea. 

Even you could take a Stagecoach bus from Dundee to Tayport in Fife.  It is a journey of around 30mins and close to Tayport you have Tentsmuir Forest which is  a designated National Nature Reserve. It is a stunning area and plenty of walks to choose from!!!

Hope this information might prove useful in your planning. Hope you all really enjoy your visit up to Scotland!!!