Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Midge Repellent

2»

Comments

• FofomaFofoma Member ✭✭✭
    Apparently the Midge Forecast is telling me that Loch Lomond is basically midge free at the moment however as the little blighters love me I have packed Skin So Soft, Jungle Formula, a midge net and two citronella candles. I'm still finding bites from our camping trip to Aviemore last week! They don't seem to like Him Indoors....perhaps I need to take up smoking a cigar!  ;)
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I recently tried out a range of anti midge & tick deterrents from Borders based company Pyramid Travel Products.  Happy to say they worked really well and kept the dreaded beasties at bay.  They do products containing deet and deet free ones, as well as one for sensitive skin so pretty much something for everyone. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• LeodhasachLeodhasach Member ✭✭
    I was out at Corrimony for the Glen Challenge on Saturday and the little sh*** were eating me alive. The registration table had a tub of Highland Midge Lotion so I gave it a try and was really impressed. Midges will usually defy most creams and potions I wear but this stuff was great. You can get it here . 
    For music reviews and previews in Inverness and the Highlands: http://invernessgigs.co.uk/
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/@leodhasach
  • argyllgirlargyllgirl Member ✭✭
    I live in Midgie Central - a coastline in Argyll.  Avon Skin so Soft does not work for me.  The only thing that works is Jungle. 
  • seawildearthseawildearth Member ✭✭
    I've lived in many areas of the tropics where biting insects can be the worst nightmare. If I were to top one location though for the maddening factor it would have to be Belize in Central America. Also known as Sandflies they come out at around 4pm through the early evening hours and make life pretty unbearable. I tried as much as I could to photograph them as I try to see the best in all wildlife but those guys had nothing on anything, appeal wise, of all the critters I've come across. 

Currently in Japan and the Robber Flies in early Spring can be problematic but they are big enough to react against. And in that rare moment of calm, generally in the early morning, with resolve, a powerful camera and some patience one can also see the awesome intricacies and attraction of the wee beastie behind the bite... 

"A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Midges don't seem so bad after all!  Plus, they're really only around in summer so by now, they shouldn't be too pesky to anyone!
  • MichaelGMichaelG Member ✭✭
    I know several people (including hard-bitten military types) who swear by Avon Skin-So-Soft. It's not meant as a midge repellent, but apparently it works a charm. So much so, in fact, that it is now stocked by several outdoors shops in Scotland.
    I use this too and seems to be working so far. I hope all that chat about the formula change isn't true!
2»