Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

WEST HIGHLAND LINE

Hi everybody! I'm going to Scotland next February and I'm thinking about taking this train. My big concern is that I'm not sure about the destination, as I've read that it could be either Fort William or Mallaig. What do you recommend?

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    Depends on what your plans are @LuciaP Fort William is an intermediate stop on the train to Mallaig and actually you need to make sure that you sit on the coach leaving Glasgow that is Fort William / Mallaig bound because the train splits into 2 at a point, the other half going to Oban.

If you want to scale Ben Nevis and come back, get off at Fort William. As it is February, weather conditions on Ben Nevis may be challenging. Another advantage of Fort William is additional bus connectivity back to Glasgow. Mallaig on the other hand adds about 1 hour to the journey time and takes you through some scenic locations including the Glenfinnan viaduct and the silver sands of Morar. Again, a beach in Feb does not seem appealing but still a nice visit on a dry day. Mallaig has great seafood options to try.

My recommendation: take the train all the way to Mallaig. Have a meal, enjoy the harbour and the peace. Take a late train back to Fort William. Stay overnight. See if Ben Nevis is in your plans and, if not, visit the distillery. Take a bus back as it goes through Glencoe which the train does not to get a bonus sight. Feel free to follow up.
    We're a globetrotting travel blogger couple. Find us on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 Week

See Scotland with us (incl: SkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban)