Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scotland for Sweet Tooths

TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in Eating and drinking
Scotland has no shortage of cute tea rooms, bakeries and roadside cafes with tempting tray bakes.

Where are your favourite spots around the country for a sugar fix? 

Some of my favourites are...

Lovecrumbs in Edinburgh - you'll struggle to decide which cake to choose! Hopefully you can grab a seat inside the window.

Gorgeous Cafe in St Andrews - select your choice of scone from the descriptions written on the cafe window. How could I refuse a scone with raspberry, blueberry and white chocolate?!

Duo Restaurant in Perth - their homemade French macaroons are AMAZING. I highly recommend the salted caramel, white chocolate, and peanut butter flavours.

Eigg Yurts on the Isle of Eigg - when cycling or walking around the island, stop by for some homemade Italian ice-cream and a 'cake of the day'. The strawberry and pistachio ice-cream went down on a treat on a day of cycling in the sunshine. 

Yummy!  :)
Follow my adventures on Facebook / Twitter / Instagram 

Have a wee nosey at my blog  

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)

Comments

• EdinBloggerEdinBlogger VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    @TheChaoticScot I love Lovecrumbs too, also partial to a Cuckoos cupcake or slice of Mimi's cheesecakes. I'm thinking we should travel further afield, especially is that scone is anything to go by! 
    Gary Wood - Blogger at EdinBraw - The Best of Edinburgh
    Passionate about Edinburgh's food and festival scene and slowly starting to explore Scotland. 
    Find me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited May 2016
    Hi guys, did you know there is a CakeFest in Stirling this September and a Chocolate Festival in Perth in November?  CakeFest took place in Edinburgh last year and at the end, once the judging had taken place, most of the bakers cut up their cake and give it away for free!
  • TheChaoticScotTheChaoticScot VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Oooooh, I haven't been to Cuckoos
    @EdinBlogger - must check it out. Mimi's is soooo good! I love it there  <3

Former tour guide and current blether. Edinburgh girl whose <3 is in the Scottish Islands. Talk to me about scenic walks, photography, places to eat, public transport, exciting adventures and history  :)
    Hi
    @VisitScotlandHeather - I've actually been lucky enough to blog about the Perth Chocolate Fest, and was a judge for the chocolate competition. It was heavenly, but by about the 30th entry I was starting to feel a bit sicky ha ha. Cake Fest sounds amazing!
    :smile:

• VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @TheChaoticScot - that sounds like my dream job! CakeFest last year was an edible map of Edinburgh but this year it's a map of Scotland.  I can't wait to see if people can make the Forth bridges, Dunnottar Castle, The Fairy Pools etc out of cake!
  • VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Oh my goodness @TheChaoticScot ...those pictures look sooooo good!!!  My kids have insisted we make a start on the Scottish Ice Cream Trail this summer so I'm looking forward to indulging in some amazing sweet treats.  

Any flavour recommendations would be most appreciated!! :)
  • NatbeesFashionNatbeesFashion VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    This must be my favourite topic!

@TheChaoticScot Gorgeous Cafe in St. Andrews has been on the top of my list but hasn't happened yet-your picture is stunning!

My favourite place is Leo's Beanery in Edinburgh, everytime we visit the Scottish capital we always find some time to have some cake in this place, extra bonus that it is located in one of the most beautiful areas of the city!

Here's a recent picture (taken straight from my blog):

Follow my trip around Scotland here  :)
    Also ask me any questions on Instagram or Twitter if you are visiting Aberdeen anytime soon and you need recommendations. 
    Wow @VisitScotlandAngela, that sounds like every kid's dream  <3

I'm definitely expecting some photo highlights when you're back!

Oh wow @NatbeesFashion, that cake looks unreal  :) 

I've never even heard of the place, so thanks very much for the recommendation. I will DEFINITELY be checking it out! 

• VisitScotlandAmyVisitScotlandAmy Administrator
    I'm a self-confessed sweet tooth. I love Twelve Triangles in Edinburgh, just off Leith Walk. They make the most incredible doughnuts: (these are lemon and ricotta, and chocolate and hazelnut). Delicious!! 

I've only popped in once @VisitScotlandAmy and tried the hazelnut one. Was so good! I must go back  :)

• VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    It's fair to say that me and my husband are big fans of cake, we're regulars at the aforementioned Cuckoo's Bakery, Porto & Fi and The Raeburn in Edinburgh, all of which are exceedingly good!

A big dipper at Cuckoo's Bakery - didn't last long!

Fancy lemon cheesecake at The Raeburn
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • YvonneYvonne Member ✭✭
    @TheChaoticScot that scone!  <3 you are making my mouth water haha. Personally I love Mimi's, and Graze coffee & chocolate house in Dunbar is lovely too. Everything is homemade and you can go for a walk along the coast first so you don't feel so bad about eating 10,000 calories...  :)
    <3 Porto & Fi @VisitScotlandMiriam! I do in for breakfast and end up just staring at the cakes! ha ha

A coastal walk and sweet treats sounds like an ideal day to me @Yvonne. Thanks!  :)

• VisitScotlandMiriamVisitScotlandMiriam Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    We got them to make our wedding cakes @TheChaoticScot !
    I'm an Edinburgher who works in the VisitScotland Content Team - have you seen our blog?
  • ShetlandSophShetlandSoph Member ✭✭
    The Peerie Shop Cafe in Lerwick, Shetland make an amazing "Puffin Poo Cheesecake" using local ingredients from the Shetland Fudge Company next door! 
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭

The Boathouse on the Isle of Ulva hands down for me.  They have a selection of the most amazing homemade cakes.  Hike round the rugged island then have a guilt free slab of delicious cake you'll have earned.

Another favourite is the Tobermory Bakery on Mull.  It's near impossible to choose from their enticing selection.  They also do a mean cooked breakfast.

When it comes to sweeties, Sweet Memories in Inveraray.  I'm like a kid on Christmas day in that place.  Sweetie tobacco, Chelsea Whoppers and Gold Rush bubblegum.  All childhood favourites of mine.  I can devour a bag of sweetie tobacco like I haven't eaten in a week.  What's not to love about sugary coconut. 

At home in Edinburgh I'm a big fan of afternoon tea at Hotel du Vin and the Bollinger Bar at the Signet Library which opens in summer during the Fringe. 

Now I'm hungry!

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

I visited Oban last November and visited the Oban Chocolate Company more than once :)   

Any cafe with this in their window is obviously my kind of place - 

And they have loads of different hot chocolates, with homemade marshmallows too:

• shetlanddebbieshetlanddebbie Member ✭✭
    Jessie's Kitchen in Broughty Ferry has an amazing selection of cakes and traybakes alongside a 'scone of the week'.  I'd recommend checking out their instagram page - @jessieskitchen - to see some daily pics of their mouthwatering cakes!
  • shetlanddebbieshetlanddebbie Member ✭✭
    One of Jessie's Kitchen's beautiful cakes!
    There is also an amazing ice cream shop in Stonehaven.  I can't remember the name of it but it's just along from the open air swimming pool.  Well worth a wee trip!
  • gillcmccgillcmcc Member ✭✭
     Jannettas in St Andrews is a must for ice cream lovers! They have over 100 flavours of ice cream, sorbet and frozen yoghurt, yum :) 
  • @VisitScotlandHeather its aunty bettys ice cream shop! Best one ever!!
  • Can recommend the tea room in Delgatie Castle!! So cosy, atmospheric, (in the vault,) and amazing cakes!
    edited July 2016
    @scottishmoments_blog - yes, that's it!  Very fond memories from last summer of eating ice cream in the sun right outside that shop 
  • KarenSlightKarenSlight Member
    edited August 2016

There's an amazing chocolate factory in Dumfries & Galloway called the Cocoabean Company which has a café and an indoor and outdoor play area. They have kids chocolate making classes and adults can get involved too with special truffle making classes.  What’s even better is the shop, there are over 100 varieties of loose chocolates to buy, pure heaven! yummy! :)

• IreneGIreneG Member ✭✭
    The tearoom at Colonsay House on Isle of Colosay ! Yummy cakes and tray bakes ! I can honestly say you will not be disappointed and and sitting out in the gardens WOW !