Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

My Favourite Place This Year, Top Tips, and Plans for 2018

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
A year is a long time, but it's never long enough to accommodate all of the places you want to visit, and Scotland has an abundance of those places.  In 2017, I visited a fair few places in Scotland and experienced some great views, so here's some of my favourites.

Aviemore

In May, my girlfriend and I went on a trip up north to the Cairngorm town of Aviemore, as part of my birthday celebrations.  We set off in the late morning to start our 3 and a half hour journey up the road, we had a beautifully sunny day and we found it difficult not to stop and take pictures of the beautiful rolling hills.  We had a one night stay in Aviemore, taking some lovely walks, enjoying a beautiful meal at the Hilton Coylumbridge restaurant and also visiting the Cairngorm Brewery to pick up some Cairngorm Gold for my old man!

Jedburgh (Monteath Mausoleum)

I visited Jedburgh in mid-November this year as it is a place that holds many special memories for me and my family.  We went along to the caravan park and hiked along through the woods up to the Monteath Mausoleum, you can get some stunning views from up on the mausoleum, and for me, it brought back many happy memories from being on family holidays and playing here with my brother and sister.  The stone lions give the place a majestic feel, although they did look a lot bigger and scarier when I was wee!

Edinburgh

I'm not too sure whether this counts or not as a place I have technically "visited" as I am from here, but I'm putting it in anyway!  I was recently on a video shoot for a video American production company Devin SuperTramp were filming in Edinburgh.  I was part of the crew who were showing everyone around the city and for the first time, I saw my own city through the eyes of a tourist and it was incredible.  Being from Edinburgh, it is difficult to really appreciate the true beauty of what is before you and take it for granted.  However, spending 3 days in the city's Old Town and up Arthur's Seat, made me realise how stunning my city really is and how lucky I am to be from a city with as rich heritage as ours.

My Top Tips

MY top tips for anyone wanting to visit Scotland, or go on a staycation, would be to find out what you want to do while you're here, and if you don't have a scroll through the community or pop along to www.visitscotland.com.  That way, you will have a brief idea as to what your itinerary would look like and whether it would be possible for you to go to see everything you want to see in your allotted time frame.

I would also highly reccommend visiting one of Scotland's 7 cities (it will be easier for flying visitors who will more than likely land in one of Scotland's cities).  They are similar as they are all rich in heritage and history but at the same time completely different.  Whichever one you end up visiting, you will love it.

What are My Plans for 2018?

There are so many places in Scotland that I would love to go in 2018 but i have whittled my options down to 3, and I will try to stick to this and visit them all throughout the year of 2018, and then some!

Glencoe

Arguably one of the most beautiful places on the planet is top of my list for next year.  Of all the pictures I've seen of Glencoe, every single one just makes me want to go more.  It strikes me as a truly beautiful place that you can never appreciate fully until you are there staring at the towering hills on either side of you.  Do you agree?

Arran

I have been a big admirer of Arran for a long while now, especially its scenic coastlines and am planning to visit at some point next year.  It seems like a really remote, intimate place full of cosy pubs and guesthouses.  I can't wait to visit and uncover another part of Scotland that I've never visited.

Dunnottar Castle

Finally on my Scotland wishlist it's Dunnottar Castle.  It was a close call between Dunnottar and Eilean Donnar Castle, but have gone wit Dunnottar.  It has a stunning backdrop and the reason that I chose it is precisely Because of its location out on the rocks.  I just think it looks so majestic and I bet when you are out there it feels like you are standing on the edge of the world!

That's my three favourite places in Scotland that I visited this year and 3 places that are on my plan for next year...what are yours?

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a fun filled year Liam.  There's never enough time to do all of the things you want to do in a year - I propose adding a few extra months.  2018 plans firmed up so far involve a dog friendly city break in Glasgow (it is the 'Dear Green Place' after all and perfect for dogs), I'm also spending a week on the wonderful Ardtornish Estate in Morvern - it's a remote paradise and brilliant for hiking.  Then there's a wee tootle round the NE250 in a VW camper van as I've always fancied hiring one.  It's a favourite route of ours too, but now it has a fancy new name it'd be silly not to do it again. And then there's Crieff, Harris and Lewis and Campeltown.  Now bring on 2018, I'm ready for it.  
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• FluffaduffFluffaduff Member
    Great post/thread!! Hopefully some day I could visit all the places recommended!